SPOILERS The Long Earth **Spoilers**

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
So you've got the The Long Earth book, read it and want to share with others who have read it.

This is the place to do it so that you don't spoil it for others who haven't read it yet.

If you haven't read it yet - GO NO FURTHER ;)

Ogg

Lance-Corporal
Jan 23, 2009
Cornwall, UK
I keep telling myself it's only a book and one that I know I'll be receiving on my birthday tomorrow. Still, being the veteran downloader that I am I find this sudden conscience a little troubling and yes I downloaded it for free for my kindle. In my defence I own every TP book in both hardcover and paperback but it bothers me I guess.

I enjoyed the first read even though I found myself doing that thinking stuff rather than looking for the laughs. I didn't expect such a serious tone but found it refreshing to experience something new and oh so interesting. I wish I had the time and energy to elaborate although imho this unique plot/premise just begs for numerous sequels. I hope to return after my second read and at least try to make sense :).

Jun 25, 2012
Has anyone else read Ring Around the Sun by Clifford D. Simak, originally published in 1953. I think it is currently out of print in book form but it is available for some ereaders.

I couldn't help but notice quite a number of similarities in the underlying concepts of this book and The Long Earth.

Just wondered if anyone else had read both and what they think ?

Jun 25, 2012
Thanks for the welcome.

Ring Around The Sun is a book I borrowed from the library about 20 or more years ago. The book contained a number ideas that stayed with me. A couple of years back I tried to track it down using the little I could remember. This was limited to the fact that it was a classic science fiction book about parallel earth's and involved a spinning top, light bulbs, razors and economics. Thanks to the wonders of Google and against all the odds I managed to identify it again, track down a second hand copy and then discovered I still liked it.

The storyline in The Long Earth is of course quite different, particularly as it is clearly part of a longer story arc, but I was struck by some of the similarities in concept and felt if people liked the new book they might like the classic as well :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I don't know if anyone else feels like this from reading the book, but I've been imagining that I had a Stepper and given the choice of west or east, I feel almost instinctively drawn to west. It's kind of odd, but I really can't imagine going east except to return. It seems like most of the people in the book feel the same way too. :think:

Anyone else feel this way?

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Paper books won't last for millenia, unfortunately. Neither will e-books. But then a love of literature probably won't either.

User Menu

Newsletter