The Long Utopia Cover

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

jujub33

Sep 25, 2014
I'm currently making my way through The Long Mars at the moment, finding it a much smoother read than The Long War was.

Plot synopsis for The Long Utopia (I'll place it under spoilers just in case):

2045-2059. Human society continues to evolve on Datum Earth, its battered and weary origin planet, as the spread of humanity progresses throughout the many Earths beyond.

Lobsang, now an elderly and complex AI, suffers a breakdown, and disguised as a human attempts to live a “normal” life on one of the millions of Long Earth worlds. His old friend, Joshua, now in his fifties, searches for his father and discovers a heretofore unknown family history. And the super-intelligent post-humans known as “the Next” continue to adapt to life among “lesser” humans.

But an alarming new challenge looms. An alien planet has somehow become “entangled” with one of the Long Earth worlds and, as Lobsang and Joshua learn, its voracious denizens intend to capture, conquer, and colonize the new universe—the Long Earth—they have inadvertently discovered.

World-building, the intersection of universes, the coexistence of diverse species, and the cosmic meaning of the Long Earth itself are among the mind-expanding themes explored in this exciting new installment of Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter's extraordinary Long Earth series.

MartinMacFeegle

Lance-Constable
Jan 16, 2015
A STEP TOO FAR... sounds ominous. Good looking cover. I haven't read The Long Mars yet, but it is waiting patiently for me.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I think this book is being released next week. I have it pre-ordered and I am looking forward to it. Although I doubt if I will continue with the series if Stephen Baxter decides to continue with it alone.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I can't even see the cover. :(

****EDIT****

Well, it's a month later, and now I can actually see the cover. *thinks* Hmmmmmmmm.... ;) D'you think maybe this was some kind of Amazon deal where us Strayans weren't allowed to see the cover until a certain date? Naaaaaaah, couldn't be, right? ;)

Anyway. I wasn't a big fan of "The Long..." series; I read the first two books, but it became a little repetitive - and "The Long War" was quite depressing. :( What are "The Long Mars" and "The Long Utopia" like?

User Menu

Newsletter