SPOILERS The Long War *Spoilers*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Well the new book is out and many of us will have copies and be eager to discuss with other people who have read it.

This is the place to discuss without worrying about posting spoilers.

If you haven't read The Long War yet, then go no further as reading the discussions on this thread may spoil your enjoyment when you do get a copy.

You have been warned!

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Got my copy today & from no other posts, people must be reading theirs. I am at chapter 4. I'm getting into it, but can't say it's unputdownable, coz I just did. :laugh:

kizkiz

Lance-Constable
Apr 25, 2012
Finished it this morning
nothing really happens to be honest
I mean, the trolls go away, watch a hologram of lobsang saying give us another chance, then come straight back.
They introduce the beagles, who don't do anything.
they introduce a few characters who do very little
It really did seem like the middle few chapters of a much longer book to me

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
kizkiz said:
Finished it this morning
nothing really happens to be honest

I mean, the trolls go away, watch a hologram of lobsang saying give us another chance, then come straight back.
They introduce the beagles, who don't do anything.
they introduce a few characters who do very little
It really did seem like the middle few chapters of a much longer book to me

I'm half the way through it & feel the same. Too many characters as well.

kizkiz

Lance-Constable
Apr 25, 2012
It's definitely setting up the next book. It introduces the characters and a brief background on them all.
We'll have lobsang with Joshua, sally, the rev etc
There will also be the navy girl and her troops off exploring.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I haven't gotten very far with the book - I've been preoccupied, but I'm enjoying it. Terry really understands humanity and the way it thinks. When presented with infinite paradises, humanity reverts to form and tries to exploit.

The Rev seems interesting, although I haven't read much about him. A "religious" man who, when presented with something miraculous, turns to science for an explanation.

And there seems to be a whole of historical parody in there with colonies wanting to be independent to politicians appealing to the worst in people to gain votes.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I haven't read the book yet, but thanks to TP's Twitter account, I learned that Michael Fenton Stevens read the audiobook. Just today, I heard him play the role of 'Mr Seyton' in the audio play Doctor Who: The Kingmaker. One set of his best lines?

SEYTON (having just appeared in the TARDIS in front of Richard of Gloucester and Henry, Duke of Buckingham, and delivered in a very hammy tone): For your information sir, this is my travelling machine! My magic cabinet that takes me to places beyond your imagination!

HENRY: So you're a demon, are you?

SEYTON: That depends. (quiet and concerned) Do they burn individuals that show sign of devilry in this century?

HENRY: Yes.

SEYTON: Well, in that case, I am a wise and benevolent sorcerer!

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Finished it a few moments ago. Can't say I was very impressed, but there were some good parts to it.
Left open for another, I think.

kizkiz

Lance-Constable
Apr 25, 2012
It occurred to me earlier that a sports match involving natural steppers could be great fun.
Imagine Rooney running at goal, then suddenly vanishing, and reappearing just in front of goal for the tap in. lol

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Just finished reading it, and I was surprised by the negative comments. While it is true that it's far from perfect, it feels at about the same level as The Long Earth, albeit for different reasons. I thought that the examination of how Stepping would affect politics was better than it was in the previous book, and the new species were welcome. But the sense of wonder has diminished, and the humour is not quite there either. Anyone else get the feeling that Stephen Baxter is the one doing most of the writing here? :think:

Overall, pretty good book.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I actually forgot to mention this, but there's a joke at one point in the book about a twain's bosun being called Higgs, right? Well, in an obscure fashion, that joke was already done in the Girl Genius comic. There's a character called Airman 3rd Class Higgs, whose naval equivalent rank would be a bosun.

User Menu

Newsletter