The Shepherd's Crown - No Spoilers in this thread please.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Re: The Shepherd's Crown - No Spoilers in this thread please

I just got really excited to see this cover and thinking about the release . . . and then I realised - this is the last Discworld book. It's a bitter-sweet experience.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales

Hang on . . . I thought it was coming out on September 10th. That says August 27th. :think:

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland

According to Waterstones site, Hardback Published: 27/08/2015
83 days until publication

That is apparently the dates for both UK versions, I just pre ordered mine as I think this is going to be a mega quick sell out for the limited edition.

The Waterstones Exclusive Edition is a stunning real cloth slipcase, limited to just 5,000 copies. The cloth for the book itself is sophisticated grey glitter, and will feature a gold bee motif on both front and back covers. Each copy is individually stamped and numbered, and features the article ‘Doing As You Would Bee Done By’, written by Sir Terry Pratchett in 1975 – a witty insight into Terry’s beekeeping experiences. Silver bee-printed endpapers – with different designs for front and back – complete this beautiful, must-have package. The perfect gift for any Pratchett fan.

Jan 23, 2014

I've just pre-ordered mine as well. It's the last one so I wanted it to be special.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE

Its a bit on the pricey side but I'll probably go for it as well

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE

And I'm now 35 pounds poorer . Ah well. As its the last ever book .

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE

I just preordered the Slipcase . I can grab one if the large paperbacks they seem to only do in Ireland .

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria

Will it make the trip to the Antipodes, I wonder? Or will we Strayans be left behind (as usual)? ;) I say "as usual" because publishing dates for just about anything are usually pushed back a week or two. Oh well.

The cover looks absolutely stunning. I retract my earlier guess about falling leaves, obviously. ;)

Now it's pretty obvious that You will be taking part here... it looks like he's growing up well! I wonder if we'll see some interaction between You and Greebo. *grin* And it appears that Tiffany has been learning from Granny, if she can (or will learn to) Borrow with bees... I presume that would be Granny's cottage in the background, by the way? I don't think we've seen another witch who keeps beehives.

Considering Tiffany's beatific smile, perhaps we will see her graduate summa cum laude from Granny's "school" (metaphorically speaking, of course, as Granny has already said that there is no such thing as a school for witchcraft). :twisted:

Though it will be bittersweet, it will be an absorbing book, I can see! :)

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE

Usually I'd laugh at 5000 being considered a limited edition but not for this one. I agree dug . I'd be suprised if they last more than a few weeks on preorder .
Rath, what way would the publishing work for Australia. Are you in one of the others regions or a seperate entity. Ireland technically falls under UK but they still tend to do large format paperbacks instead of hardbacks for most releases. It can be near impossible to buy fantasy hardbacks from a normal bookshop.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE

I have a mix as well , I've one limited to 26 , a few 50 's 100'sand 250's. My Nation is of 2500 but I do have athe Sherlock Holmes book House if Silk as a limited edition of 221

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales

The US cover of the book shows what appears to be a fossil echinoid. It turns out that a Shepherd's Crown is the folklore name of a fossilised echinoid found in chalk regions of Suffolk.

As this is is what is one the cover, I am assuming that is not any sort of spoiler.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland

Feegled from the Discworld Emporium forum by Stibbons.

A Shepherd's Crown is the old folk name for Sea Urchin fossils found in the chalk, quite often they're made of flint deposited in the shape of the original creature (and occasionally an iron pyrite nodule), normally it's a species that is rather pyramidal in shape, others are known as Fairy Loaves, Pixie Hats, etc. I refer you to "Shepherds’ Crowns, Fairy Loaves and Thunderstones: the Mythology of Fossil Echinoids in England" by Kenneth J. McNamara-

ftp://ftp.esc.cam.ac.uk/pub/kmcn07/KEN% ... 202007.pdf

User Menu

Newsletter