The Watch update

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
We know what Discworld is and isn't. Most people who watch TV probably don't. They'll watch this show and think that's what the A-M City Watch is like. They'll be misled, and if they start reading Discworld after that, they'll be put off -- because it's not what they'll expect.

So, here's what I propose: let us all, each and every one of us, tell our families and friends to read the books instead of watching this show. If we can get through to even one person, that's one more person we introduce to the wonderfully rich world that Terry created. :)

If we do nothing, nothing will change, and this lump of gobshite is what people will think Discworld is.

But if we go out and spread the word like the disciples of Om (though without the Quisitions and dreadful harmonium music), then maybe -- just maybe -- more people will be convinced to read Terry's fantastic work. :)

Enough of "The Watch" and its lies. The Truth (sorry) deserves to be heard. Chelonophiles, unite! We have nothing to lose but our sanity! :mrgreen:

Mx

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Sigh. Whoever watches it, they are welcome to it. I just hope they realise it's not Discworld. (I can't watch it, obviously -- I'm in the Land of Giant Spiders and Lethal Jumping Bears). ;)

If anyone here decides to watch it, can you please let us know what you think?

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
If forced to, I suppose I could just keep telling myself that it's fanfic from the Alternate Universe where the Trousers of Time not only fell down but tore.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Heh. Don't force yourself to watch it, just on my account. ;) Remember, I said: "If anyone decides to watch it". If you decide to play patience instead, or go to the football, that's fine :)

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
The more trailers that are released, the worse it gets! Even if you ignore the fact it's meant to be Discworld related, it just looks terrible. I hope the viewing figures are so bad that it gets cancelled after the first series.

While part of me agrees it would be great to see it flop, it could damage the appeal for future adaptions.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I agree with pip. I think the future adaptations of Discworld to the big-or-small-screens, though, should be left in the hands of Narrativia and whoever they choose. :)

Part of me, also, feels very aggrieved to see the huge amount of kitschy tat that comes out devoted to garbage like Disney, Harry Potter, Fifty Shades etc. (way too much hype for all three of those), and yet I'm lucky to see anything relating to Discworld. :mad:

Even my local supermarket has been selling loads of Disney crap. And now my local electronics store has Harry Potter Monopoly, Fifty Shades Monopoly, etc. (I still think they should do Fifty Shades Twister. Seems appropriate).

Anyway, we need to clear out all this schlock. *grabs the flamethrower* :devil:

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Whether we like it or not, Disney and Harry Potter are massive franchises compared to Discworld with all the films from Disney and a film for each book in the Harry Potter series and spin off's, Discworld has three TV films although good but not movie film blockbusters like the afore mentioned.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
I think the rarity of merchandise for Discworld makes it all the more precious. I have a decent collection of Bookmarks, artworks and maps and love em all.

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter