The Watch update

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
From a business perspective I have no idea how any of this makes sense. This work was worth adapting as it was exceptional and came with a passionate fan base.
First thing they do is completely gut the source material to make it unrecognisable , second thing is to alienate the fan base who would make even an average adaption a success, and in final steps they seem to be openly trying to spit on Pratchetts grave.
Idiots

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Oh, no. :( Thanks, Tony ... I wonder how many Discworld fans here will watch this, just to see if it is as bad as we all fear?

I just looked at the instagram post Rachel linked to and -- I just ... I have no words. :(

It's such a shame. Night Watch is my favourite of Terry's "darker" period. When I first heard it was being adapted for TV, I was excited. Now, it feels like they just dumped a big, steaming pile of :poop: all over Terry's legacy. :cry:

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
The reviews I'm reading are not positive. It seems the man behind all this, things he understands Terry's sense of humour, and clearly doesn't!
ego pure utter ego this has happened so many times in the past one of the latest is what Kenneth Branagh did to Artemis fowl

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
ego pure utter ego this has happened so many times in the past one of the latest is what Kenneth Branagh did to Artemis fowl
Seem to think he is funnier than Terry,I wonder if he is related to Trump seems to have a silar attitude.

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
I'm not even going to watch any of these adaptations. I'm feeling sooo disappointed :mad: I had a great time with the Artemis Fowls books but then I watched the movie trailer and... nope.

Mx

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I think there was a preview on one of the Comic Coms but I missed it as there was to be a Q&A on Zoom and you could leave a comment later.
I've seen the stills, does not inspire me with confidence
There could be a meme about that later, :devil: don't watch The Watch, watch the clock it will probably be better.:mrgreen:

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
And further down the page on DW. Monthly
2.1 The Watch TV series - Panel at New York Comic Con
With the release date of the series being January 2021, the marketing for the series has finally decided to step up a gear.
Unfortunately with Covid-19 causing cancellations of ComicCons everywhere, the usual live Q&A style panels will not be happening and it is a pity because we firmly believe that the team who created The Watch series really need to see the public reaction to the show they have created.
As it happens, New York ComicCon will be virtual this year, with most of the panels being broadcast for free on Youtube which mean no live Q&A. It does mean you should be able to use the comments box to express your opinion on what is shown.
The Watch will have a panel on Friday 8th October at 1.30 ET with the cast, showrunner Simon Allen and executive producer Richard Stokes being interviewed by Yvette Nicole Brown.
We will also get a first look at the series. This will be the first time a teaser trailer will be shown online to the public. The Youtube link for the panel won't go live until closer to the date, and we will make sure we send out the link via our Facebook page and our Twitter feed.
Until then, you can explore what little is available on New York ComicCon Website and their online convention website called Metaverse
The New York ComicCon NYCC Youtube channel is already in place ready for the event which starts on the 8th October 2020.

1600950013092.png

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
I watched a handful of trailers online. I was one of the people who was really hopefully optimistic for a long time, even after finding out Rob and Rhianna's feelings on this. OMG. They are tragic. There really isn't a word for the kind of horror I experienced watching them.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Just seen this on twitter and Feegled it.

For anyone following the discourse around #TheWatch, this is a really interesting glimpse into what could-have-been. (complete with
@terryandrob
enjoying the hell out of a pastry).

It's enouph to make you weep

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Ha! :) One thing that Terry said here really struck a chord with me: "Any respectable police force would have a room for dietary requirements..."

So it got me thinking. What would various Discworld races eat, if they were prisoners? Suppose you're a Discworld gnoll or golem or zombie, and you've been arrested for a crime. What would you ask for? More important, what would be your last meal? ;)

- Gnolls ... grass? Dirt? ;)
- Zombies ... brains, obviously, but not Discworld zombies. What would they eat?
- Vampires? Any vampire mad enough to break the law in A-M won't be in a position to eat anything. Sorry, anyfink. Ahem.
- Golems? Possibly a bit of clay. (To make a hollow laughing). ;)
- Dwarves always have rock cakes (not a metaphor) or dwarf bread ...
- Definitely no bloody elves in A-M.
- Can't see any gargoyles committing crimes, but if they do, they'd want a pigeon or two.
- Swamp dragons? I don't think they'd commit a crime, unless the crime is Exploding In An Unsanitary Manner.
- Oh yes, trolls! Granite steak or gravel Maltesers ... ;)
- And, of course, humans -- who'd eat almost anything.

I'm sure I missed someone. But can you imagine the mess? "Yes, I know you're waiting on your gravel, Quartz. But I just have to give some dirt and grass to ol' Stoolie here..." ;)

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Vampires would be taken out by the law-abiding vampires of Ankh-Morpork, who know when they have a good thing going.
Discworld zombies don't eat, if I recall correctly.
Part-elves (seen in Holy Wood as extras) eat what humans eat. They're basically not much more dangerous than humans, but the guards would want earplugs to block out the annoying giggles.

One helpful element is that any mess is easily recycled. Just mix the leftover bits of biodegradable material in with the gravel and top it with the dirt and grass, and you have a good start on a small park. If there's magic involved, just dump it on the Unreal Estate.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
One helpful element is that any mess is easily recycled. Just mix the leftover bits of biodegradable material in with the gravel and top it with the dirt and grass, and you have a good start on a small park. If there's magic involved, just dump it on the Unreal Estate.
Oh, no. :) The trolls eat the gravel, and Stoolie the Gnoll will eat everything else. Right? ;)

Neil hits the nail on the head here: "It’s not Batman if he’s now a news reporter in a yellow trenchcoat with a pet bat." :) He's right, of course, and the analogy is wonderful. I wish I thought of that. :)

Sigh. This show will clearly go ahead regardless of how any of us feel. It slaps Terry's name on it and pretends to be what it's not. It's a lie, and I've never been impressed by lies.

Worse still, Simon Allen pretends that it's all his own work -- including the names of the characters. :mad:

What really worries me, though, is this: Of the TV-watching public (at least in America - and definitely here in Australia), us Discworld fans are a minority. :(

We know what Discworld is and isn't. Most people who watch TV probably don't. They'll watch this show and think that's what the A-M City Watch is like. They'll be misled, and if they start reading Discworld after that, they'll be put off -- because it's not what they'll expect.

So, here's what I propose: let us all, each and every one of us, tell our families and friends to read the books instead of watching this show. If we can get through to even one person, that's one more person we introduce to the wonderfully rich world that Terry created. :)

If we do nothing, nothing will change, and this lump of gobshite is what people will think Discworld is.

But if we go out and spread the word like the disciples of Om (though without the Quisitions and dreadful harmonium music), then maybe -- just maybe -- more people will be convinced to read Terry's fantastic work. :)

Enough of "The Watch" and its lies. The Truth (sorry) deserves to be heard. Chelonophiles, unite! We have nothing to lose but our sanity! :mrgreen:

Just an idea...

User Menu

Newsletter