The Watch update

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Heh. Of course the UK isn't just England! :) There's Scotland and Wales too. (I'm not counting Northern Ireland, because I'd rather not get into the English-Irish quagmire -- i.e. both sides claiming it's theirs, and the whole "Cromwell atrocities" thing that started it all). :(

As for William Wallace ... hmm. The statue at the Portrait Gallery, or the statue at Aberdeen seems a more realistic portrayal than the stained glass window; I'm not too sure about that dragon on Wallace's helmet in the stained glass window, and if Wallace's claymore was that large, he wouldn't have used a shield that big. ;) He might have used a targe, though - wikipedia tells me it was used between the 13th and 16th centuries, which fits Wallace's lifetime nicely. :)

(I hope don't take this as disrespect to Wallace, by the way. I'm not trying to judge either him or anyone else. I'm just thinking of how realistic, or otherwise, his various portrayals are; the Mel Gibson one certainly isn't, but at least it drew attention to him, so that's good). :)
Rath, your summary of Irish history starting with Cromwell is awful. We'll have to get you a few of our more colourful history books.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Well my eyes have finally stopped bleeding. This whole think sucked. Not even the lack of respect for source material . Visually its a nightmare. Acting is so so at best and its just weird without being in any way engaging.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Rath, your summary of Irish history starting with Cromwell is awful. We'll have to get you a few of our more colourful history books.
Sorry, pip. :( I'm aware that England tried to take over Ireland before Cromwell (e.g. during Elizabeth I's reign), but here in Australia, our access to Irish history books is unfortunately very limited. :( I was only able to find this one, which is quite funny. :)

As for The Watch ... the less said, the better. Hopefully it dies a quiet death and is forgotten.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Sorry, pip. :( I'm aware that England tried to take over Ireland before Cromwell (e.g. during Elizabeth I's reign), but here in Australia, our access to Irish history books is unfortunately very limited. :( I was only able to find this one, which is quite funny. :)

As for The Watch ... the less said, the better. Hopefully it dies a quiet death and is forgotten.
Looks like a fun take on history anyway :)

Whether we like it or not, Disney and Harry Potter are massive franchises compared to Discworld with all the films from Disney and a film for each book in the Harry Potter series and spin off's, Discworld has three TV films although good but not movie film blockbusters like the afore mentioned.
Well, at least all the characters stayed the same gender and age. Can you imagine if Ron Weasley became a 6-foot tall Strawberry-Blond bombshell and Hagrid an elf?

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
*LOL* And Dumbledore could be pouting, sulky teenage goth, dye his (her?) hair black, and wear black mascara and black nail-polish. "Oh, woe is me. The world is going to hell in a hand-basket. What's the point of even trying." Etc, etc. ;)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Just Feegled this from the Emporium some brave soul watched all the episodes of the Watch here is the verdict.

Re: The Watch
by Gaspode » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:58 pm

Oh dear Oh dear. Where are the dried frog pills when you want them?
Oh must be next to my jaw, which has just dropped after watching the final episode of the first series. I hope beyond hope that there is not another.

They only went and used the 'Errol' plot device from Guards Guards and completely cocked it up. And when I say completely believe me. Good boy slowing flapping his little wings up to the dragons eye, making silly 70's dance moves (even I didn't dance that bad in the late 70's, and then they both disappear. Time is rewritten and Worse becomes the baddie. Sam and Sybil are getting it on, when she says 'if you are still there when I get back I will know you are mine' A good line, but the Auditors (they don't call them that) magic him away to their reality. Dum Dum DUMB.

Well that in my slightly off centre opinion, is now that.

I was sort of enjoying this, yes the acting was wooden, the plot had more holes than one of them wossinames, you know begins with a S. I even laughed at a couple of the jokes. Sybil I quite liked, Sam was well, too Nobby for me (not in looks but general mannerisms) DEATH, well just wrong. The City was as Ive already said, a slightly not so drug fuelled version of Blade Runner (no rain, better lighting) although if it had all happened at night it may have been better for the atmosphere. (actually thinking on this, it may have been an old set from the Dark Tower movie.)

But sorry. Not anymore. I now have all 7a episodes here (they even had the nerve to call ep 7a, well you know that squiggle wot looks like a 2x4).

The final nail was the ending, the nerve of it, leave me on a knife edge and tease that there will be more.... I'm not falling for that old polished turd... well not again

Oh and to think a little known Author once said to me ' Barrie the things you get up to make me think CMOT has come to life, but not in a good way'
You'd think he was talking about this programme.
I'd hate to be associated with the CMOT in this series.

So all good here nothing to see, move along please..............

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I've read the entire review, but just from the first sentence, I could guess the general tone.

I'd say that's pretty authoritative, then. As one of the people who created Discworld -- or at least the tangible, metal-and-paint-and-wool-and-etcetera part of it -- I'd say Barrie's opinion is not insignificant.

Well, now we've heard from Barrie and Rhianna. As for Stephen's opinion, or Colin Smythe's ... I dread to think.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Yes, that last line ... :rolleyes:

I guess people in those countries have never read the books (or have no access to them?)

Time to smash a hole through the desk (and the planet) and bring these poor benighted souls some Pratchettia! :)

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia

Interesting review of "The Watch"... but some poeple's comments are priceless:

This feels like an edgy fanfic of Discworld that someone wrote in high school while absolutely stoned for the first time
This adaptation was clearly created by the creatures of the dungeon dimensions. They see the discworld, they want to be part of the discworld, but their writing has all the poetry in motion of a deck chair.
They don't even have Nobby and Colon. You LITERALLY can't have the Watch without Nobby and Colon, it comes up in the books. And then they managed to get all of the other casting completely wrong

Mx

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Interesting review. It seems that you have to look at this as a fantasy story that is only tangentially about Discworld, if you are going to get any enjoyment out of it.

User Menu

Newsletter