SPOILERS Thief of Time Discussion *Spoilers*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but isn't that saying actually very famous? Maybe it's just particularly popular amongst students (which I seem to have always been in some form).

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Dotsie said:
I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but isn't that saying actually very famous? Maybe it's just particularly popular amongst students (which I seem to have always been in some form).
I already knew the saying and therefore wasn't surprised at the procrastinators. :)

Tony Hillerman also has a book titled A Thief of Time set on the Navajo Reservation.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Tonyblack said:
Tony Hillerman also has a book titled A Thief of Time set on the Navajo Reservation.
Yes, and this is (arguably) Hillerman's best book in a long-running series about two Navajo Reservation cops, one older and more "Americanized," the other younger and more "traditional." who solve various tribes that take place in the southwest. Highly recommended. The U.S. "Mystery" series did a pretty good adaptation of ATOT several years ago.

J-I-B

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Dotsie said:
Probably one of those southern sayings which never made it up to the real north. 8)

How about, "I'll go to the foot of my stairs!", or "If ifs and buts were pots and pans there'd be no use for tinkers." Do you know those two sayings?

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Yes I do! How about "it's black over Bill's mother's", or "I'll run up our gennel"?

Southern my arse mumblemumble

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I'm a Southerner born and bred (though I prefer South-westerner) and I know the 'go to foot of our stairs' (quite frequently used in late 70s-80s Corrie) and the 'if's and but's' one (although this one's better - if wishes were horses, beggars would ride). :laugh:

As a practising procrastinator of Olympian standard, if I do say so myself, yes, the thief of time thing is a pretty common saying :p

But I've not come across those last two Dotsie :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
poohcarrot said:
Well, all I can say is that I had never heard that "Procrastination is the thief of time" before 3 days ago. :rolleyes:
If everybody knew it, why didn't anybody mention it in the discussion? o_O
Because I thought everyone knew it. :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter