Top eight books ,Polled

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Three Witch books if you count The Wee Free Men. but one is a Granny, Nanny, and Magrat book, one is an Agnes book, and one is a Tiffany book. Reaper Man is a Death book but Hogfather is a Susan book.

I think Thief of Time deserved a look-in, but I'm not sure which i would have removed. Eight is just not enough!

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I agree.

I am surprised that "Witches Abroad" made it in it, but not the other books which are, at heart, an extended riff on various themes (e.g. "Wyrd Sisters"/Shakespeare, Maskerade/opera and live theatre, Soul Music/rock 'n roll, Moving Pictures/films and Hollywood).

Thief of Time, also, is a fantastic riff on various end-times prophecies, everything you ever thought you knew about Asian martial arts, and chocolate. :mrgreen:

At the same time, I thought: what about Pyramids? But then, I've recently been reading a history of ancient Egypt.

And what about Sourcery? But then, I've read various books on Norse mythology, which Sourcery punctures brilliantly.

Aaaaaargh! Too many books, not enough time! :mrgreen:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Surely, Witches Abroad is also a "Riff" on the British [insert other nationality] tourist abroad. I don't know if it's the same with (especially elderly) people that don't understand the cultures or the language of the country they are visiting, and expect all the foreigners to understand what they want - sometimes thinking that shouting at the person will automatically break the language barrier.

It is also a riff on fairy tales, of course.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
We-ell, you could probably write a thesis on the uses of mirroring and the routes to understanding yourself in Witches Abroad. Parallel passages, similar characters, literal, metaphorical, and magical mirrors. And fairy tales, too, and why it's not always good to have someone else change you.

Woofb

Constable
Oct 24, 2021
I agree.

I am surprised that "Witches Abroad" made it in it, but not the other books which are, at heart, an extended riff on various themes (e.g. "Wyrd Sisters"/Shakespeare, Maskerade/opera and live theatre, Soul Music/rock 'n roll, Moving Pictures/films and Hollywood).

Thief of Time, also, is a fantastic riff on various end-times prophecies, everything you ever thought you knew about Asian martial arts, and chocolate. :mrgreen:

At the same time, I thought: what about Pyramids? But then, I've recently been reading a history of ancient Egypt.

And what about Sourcery? But then, I've read various books on Norse mythology, which Sourcery punctures brilliantly.

Aaaaaargh! Too many books, not enough time! :mrgreen:

User Menu

Newsletter