What Are You Reading 2

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
WannabeAngua said:
I'm reading American gods by Neil Gaiman. Excellent read!
I just bought that for my dad, so I expect he's reading it as well (any book I buy him he reads straight away, so he can tell me as quickly as possible how good it was :) )

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Catch-up said:
I'm reading Whispers Under Ground. :laugh:

By the way, what's a Navvie and what's a Scouser accent?
A navvie is the name that was originally given to the mostly Irish workers who dug the canal system in Britain. It is short for navigation. It was later used to describe the people who built the railways and roads and is sometimes used for a general labourer on a building site.

Scouser is Liverpudlian. The name comes from a type of stew called scouse. As to the accent - have you seen Thomas the Tank Engine? The two narrators have scouse accents. So does Dave Lister from Red Dwarf. :)

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Thanks Tony! :laugh: Most of the unfamiliar slang I can figure out by the context, but a few I need help with. I am surprised by the regular use of "governor." I didn't think that was something people currently said.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Among the many things I'm reading is Pete Townshend's autobiography, Who I Am. Like the man and his music, it's often brilliant, frequently head-scratching, totally self-indulgent, and perpetuates many Who-related myths that have long been discredited.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Just finished reading the last volume of Akira. Bloody dark, bloody violent, but bloody good, with a surprisingly heartwarming ending.

meerkat

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jan 16, 2010
Pocklington East Riding Yorkshire
Read by 1st January:
A blink of the screen (excellent)
Compleat Mapp of Ankh Morpork, (i love the adverts)
Prague Fatale (a bernie gunther mystery) Philip Kerr
Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronovitvhvhitv (no idea how you spell it)
Aleksandr and the Mysterious Knightkat (a hoot... if you follow the compere the Market adverts)
Blackwork by the Royal School of Needlework,

Currently reading:Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother by William Shawcross (from my cousin's private library this means her bedroom).

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Reading the series is kind of like swimming through a river of molasses....it starts off fast at the beginning and then gets slower and longer and slower and longer and denser and stickier the more you go through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

User Menu

Newsletter