What Are You Reading? 3

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
Well, he’s written a lot of books you see. I’ve also been reading them for a lot of years. I’d wouldn’t normally forget but there’s always a first time for everything. My comment about ‘the trouble with Wodehouse’ is a line from a tv show I thought I’d throw in cause it makes me laugh and it’s true. Give Jeeves and Wooster a go you might like them. Wodehouse is a great wit and wordsmith in my opinion.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Sister Jennifer said:
Well, he’s written a lot of books you see. I’ve also been reading them for a lot of years. I’d wouldn’t normally forget but there’s always a first time for everything. My comment about ‘the trouble with Wodehouse’ is a line from a tv show I thought I’d throw in cause it makes me laugh and it’s true. Give Jeeves and Wooster a go you might like them. Wodehouse is a great wit and wordsmith in my opinion.
I've read just about every Wodehouse book and totally forgotten what happened in all of them. Which is fine, because the plot of every Jeeves or Blandings novel and short story is almost exactly the same. You don't read Wodehouse for narrative complexity, or for fully developed characters. You read them for Wodehouse's mastery of the English language and his ability to craft diamonds of pure wit with nearly every sentence. And to laugh. It's clear to see Wodehouse's influence in Pterry's DW novels.

Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
raisindot said:
I've read just about every Wodehouse book and totally forgotten what happened in all of them. Which is fine, because the plot of every Jeeves or Blandings novel and short story is almost exactly the same. You don't read Wodehouse for narrative complexity, or for fully developed characters. You read them for Wodehouse's mastery of the English language and his ability to craft diamonds of pure wit with nearly every sentence. And to laugh. It's clear to see Wodehouse's influence in Pterry's DW novels.
That's fantastically well said. It's terribly nice to meet another PG fan.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
All right then, I'll give PG a try. :) I'm currently in the midst of a quite enjoyable book on the Romanov dynasty, but as soon as that's done... ;)

What should I read first? Do you have any recommendation for a Wodehousian greenhorn? ;)

Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
I’ve never read them in any particular order. Intimitable Jeeves or Carry On, Jeeves perhaps. Btw, the last time I was in Melbourne I bought a couple in the bookshop at the state library. Beautiful place.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Sister Jennifer said:
I’ve never read them in any particular order. Intimitable Jeeves or Carry On, Jeeves perhaps. Btw, the last time I was in Melbourne I bought a couple in the bookshop at the state library. Beautiful place.
The closest I've come to reading Wodehouse is listening to the Doctor Who audio drama The Auntie Matter.

Speaking of, do the Whovians here know that a whole bunch of new novelisations of episodes from the New Series are coming out VERY soon? Rose, The Christmas Invasion, The Day of the Doctor, and Twice Upon a Time are all being released as Target-style paperbacks (with covers that look like they've been done by Chris Achilleos), with City of Death being republished in a similar format.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
I've just read three of a series of novels that use Jane Austen as a detective. The first two I read weren't bad, but they both committed a mystery-writer's faux pas by depending on the villain's confession. They have epilogues which tell what happened to the various characters, and one of them also annoyed me by failing to tell what happened to one character that I would have expected to have been mentioned. I can only assume the character is probably a continuing minor villain, but he didn't show up in the third novel I read, which annoyed me by turning political just when I'd settled in for a standard cozy mystery. Phooey. I'm glad I got them second-hand. Yet somehow I have a yen to read another one... Maybe I will investigate the library.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I'm reading something by Gina Kirkham, about truncheons and polyester thongs. It's not great. It's for reading group though, and might be an antidote to my choice last month which was 'Lincoln in the Bardo', which was brilliant but not exactly easy reading!

Nov 21, 2010
I'm reading Artemis by the same author who wrote the book behind the Martian film. I'm not finding the main character very likeable so far :/

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I've just finished Timeline by Michael Crichton, an enjoyable time travel yarn that was quite exciting despite the gaping plot holes (some of the characters had extremely unlikely and almost superhuman qualities, in order to make the story work).

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I just finished reading Maskerade, Feet of Clay and Interesting Times (in that order). They are as hilarious as I remember them, but they make a lot more sense (and, as a result, are much funnier) on second reading.

Next, I will start "The Last Continent". ;)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Well that was a lovely read.

Just come back from my holidays, where I read Replay by Ken Grimwood - very good, answers the question 'if you could do it all again, what would you do differently?'. Then I went onto The Secret History by Donna Tartt, which I'm still reading - really enjoying it - it's gripping!

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Having ignored romance novels all my reading life, and then learned that I had missed some good jokes in other books because I didn't know the romance conventions, I am now investigating the genre. I've found that I seem to require (1) a generally positive feeling, (2) humor, and (3) at least one touch of the fantastic - whether a ghost or other doesn't matter. Otherwise I find even a well-written book to be lacking something. I can ignore large plot holes if my main requirements are present. I have enjoyed six paranormal romances by Barbara Metzger, but I still have to see whether they pass the rereading test; if they're still fun the second time, I might look for more. I'm not so fond of her non-paranormals. I mean no disrespect to her nor to the fans of romance, it's just generally not my cup of tea.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Now rereading some Georgette Heyer regency romances. The Reluctant Widow was fun but failed one of my current standards by building up a marvellous character and then basically wasting him as a bit part; in a Metzger romance, he'd have been the male lead. I think the book may have suffered from a prescribed length requirement, as well. I would have liked to read a good tense inquest scene, but it happened entirely off-page, to allow the focus to stay on the romantic relationship.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Continuing to read Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer. I've now read all the standard Austen books. Austen's Persuasion has plenty of action but it seems quiet because it is so much told rather than shown. It was her last book and maybe she'd have put more scenes into dialogue if she'd had time and strength.

I've only found a few books by Heyer in the thrift shops so far, and those are mainly early works. The Convenient Marriage has one of her silly heroines who cause their own problems. It does have some funny scenes with young male drunks who mean well but don't quite manage what they intended to do - I think I see some Wodehouse influence.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
*looks up Georgette Heyer on book depository*

*blink, blink; jaw drops*

Too many book covers with men in stockings and women with bustles...... ;-P Regency period, I presume? ;)

I can only presume, because these covers (and book descriptions) really don't tell me much. It could be anywhere from early 1700s to June 1830 (when the immensely-overweight Prince Regent, now the immensely-overweight King George IV, died).

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Mainly Regency, yes. Heyer began with some set in the mid-18th century, but as she got better at writing and began inserting comedy, she moved to the Regency. Aside from Jane Austen, who wrote it in period, Heyer is considered to have invented the modern genre of Regency Romance. As you say, too many covers with men in knee-breeches and stockings and women in low-cut dresses (some with bustles, some not). Metzger's book covers aren't much better, and of her approximately 41 novels, only about eight or ten have the magic combination of comedy, paranormal or masquerade, and the cosy quality I prefer. Still, that's nearly a dozen books to enjoy, so I don't think I've entirely wasted my time.

Sir Terry advised reading outside one's usual favorite genres, and I agree, if only because it adds to the appreciation of writers who insert allusions and Easter eggs. Investigating romance has also led to my reading criticism by the fans, who have researched the actual history, laws and customs, and point out where the writers stretch and ignore things to allow their plots to happen. Heyer is well-thought-of because she did research carefully as well as learning to be a good writer. (Austen of course didn't need to do the research because she lived then.) From there I've moved to reading books published online of laws of the time, which indicate how horrifyingly draconian the laws were then. E.g.: if a man owned land (thus middle-class at least, not poor) but wasn't rich enough to be allowed to hunt, but owned a hunting dog (defined by breed, not ability or use) and a gun, any richer man could legally confiscate the dog and gun without even having to pay for them. Merely owning a greyhound was considered legal proof of intent to hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

User Menu

Newsletter