What Are You Reading 4

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Not just stomach upsets. A friend of mine paid huge vet bills for her cat's urinary infections until the vet carefully explained to her why she shouldn't feed it milk.

Reading: The Dead Duke, His Secret Wife, and the Missing Corpse, by Piu Marie Eatwell (2014).
Nonfiction - it's about a lawsuit in the early years of the 20th century.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
After a reread of The Shepherd's Crown, I've just started reading Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. I'm really looking forward to this book. Neil is a great writer.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It's also very bad for the cat; kittens can drink breast milk, of course, but most adult cats can't digest the lactose in dairy foods, and this gives them stomach upsets.
Human adults have learned (to some degree) to tolerate cow's milk. People from Asian cultures have a bigger problem with this as it's not so normal for them to digest cow's milk. I know in the past that people have been horrified by the idea of ice cream made from human breast milk - but why? Surely it's more natural to eat a product made from milk evolutionary perfect for humans, than for milk destined for another species altogether.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Do webcomics count? Because I should've brought up that I not only recently reread Second Empire, but its prequel, Trapped in Amber. Both are CGI webcomics inspired by the old Dalek comics from TV Century 21 in the Sixties. It's easily one of the best webcomics I have ever read.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Given that webcomics can last for years and sometimes see print eventually - Digger, for instance, won a Hugo and in print form is enormous - I think a long-lasting webcomic should count.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
It went on for over 700 pages. Second Empire did, anyway. And you have a point. Girl Genius started as a print comic, but is primarily a webcomic now, but with print editions. BTW, that's a series I have to recommend to any Terry Pratchett fan who would also love steampunk and mad scientists.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Girl Genius is also, slowly, becoming a text form. The next volume is due out within a couple of months. The text form has some details not in the graphic novels and also a few minor differences from the webcomic/printed graphic novel form.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I have just started Agency the sequel to William Gibson's The Preripheral which took me a few chapters to get into as it was rather complex, this one is taking place in San Francisco 2017 apparently this sequel came out six years after The Preripheral and there is going to be another one to make a trilogy I wonder how long it will be before it comes out.
Edit to add I'm a few chapters in and it is a lot easier read this one, bit of a page turner I'm having trouble putting it down.:mrgreen:

Last edited:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I just finished reading The Secrets of Story by Matt Bird. A good book for all would-be authors. Highly recommended.

I think I might re-read Maskerade next. One of my favourite Pratchett books ever! *squee!!* :)

(Sorry) ;)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Finished W. Gibson's Agency really good this was the sequel to The Peripheral which was six years inbetween, now that I'm finished reading it this sums up the wait until the sequel to Agency. ;)

Now reading Eoin Colfer's High Fire about the last Dragon. Here is the blurb.
about a vodka-drinking, Flashdance-loving dragon who's been hiding out from the world - and potential torch-carrying mobs - in a Louisiana bayou . . . until his peaceful world's turned upside down by a well-intentioned but wild Cajun tearaway and the crooked (and heavily armed) law officer who wants him dead.

Last edited:

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
don't talk to me about bookcases I'm trying to figure out if I can shoe-horn another one in
and reduce the amount of sub-genres I have comic-fiction that is based in the 1970s-1980s
because I can't get them to fit on my main fiction bookshelves shouldn't be a sub-genre or at
least that specific a sub-genre

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Dug, I really enjoyed High Fire. I'm hoping there will be sequels.

I've caught up with all of the Rivers of London graphic novels, really enjoyed them! And just finished False Value. I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as the other books. Not sure why.

I'm reading a book of short stories about witches called Hex Life. Most of them are really good and unexpected!

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I need another bookcase. I currently have two and they're both full - plus books under a pillow, a book in the kitchen that I'm reading, several books on my bedside table, plus five on order ... :)

Like I said: I need another bookcase! ;) It's not easy, being a bibliophile ... :mrgreen:

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Dug, I really enjoyed High Fire. I'm hoping there will be sequels.

I've caught up with all of the Rivers of London graphic novels, really enjoyed them! And just finished False Value. I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as the other books. Not sure why.

I'm reading a book of short stories about witches called Hex Life. Most of them are really good and unexpected!
Is that the one by Kelley Armstrong Catch-up?

User Menu

Newsletter