What Are You Reading 4

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I've been going through The Expanse. Currently on Cibola Burn. I love the commitment to scientific fidelity, but this book has been taking me a while to get through. I'm not sure if it's the book or if it's because I'm reading this one on my tablet. Seemed to whiz through the others and I was reading the actual books for those.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Currently reading Germania, by Simon Winder. I understand this isn't a history, and that's fine -- I've read one history of Germany (a short one) and that's quite enough. I wasn't looking for a detailed story of how Hanover and Prussia joined with Bavaria to [xyz], etc.

What this book is full of are little amusing anecdotes that I never knew (not surprising, as my knowledge of Germany isn't that great). But the Germans' overwhelming adulation of the Middle Ages (at least, before WW2) was surprising ... as was the mention of one daft artwork that shows Jesus surrounded by Roman guards, all wearing medieval German garb. ;) Jesus is in a fur cape, and Roman guards in a riot of helmets with feathers, capes, belts and buttons, as well as very curiously-coloured tights. :oops:

Somehow I don't associate ancient Judea (in mid-spring, no less - which is when Passover (and hence The Last Supper) took place) with cold weather ... :rolleyes: :laugh:

Last edited:

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
The Ghost and the Bogus Bestseller by Cleo Coyle. I was surprised - usually I can guess the villain, and in this one I didn't until it was blatantly obvious very near the end. A very twisty plot.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Just finished The Fairy Tale Thief, which I quite enjoyed except for the abrupt ending, which could have been better.
And now into the second book of the Cyberpunk upload Quadrilogy, Messiah Online hope its as good as the first one.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Almost at the end of The Warm Machine by Seth Rain, it an A.I. story with a biblical theme based on the Bible so far there's Noah, Gabriel, Matthew, Isaiah even God himself is mentioned. It's a trilogy I will wait till the end and see if I want to read the next one or leave it till later.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'm reading "Hang Tough" which is a book by a historian based on the letters of Major Dick Winters (Band of Brothers) sent to a friend in the US during his time in the military. Well worth a look in my opinion.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Elizabeth Webster and the Court of Uncommon Pleas, by William Lashner.
book one of an intended series. MG. Elizabeth is descended from the Daniel Webster of "The Devil and Daniel Webster" and has to plead a similar case in the unfriendly court. By the way, she's about 13 years old.
It's not bad, kind of standard-universe demons but a good solid adventure with more a mundane case to solve as well as the supernatural one.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Barrie, David: Supernavigators (2019). nonfiction. Recent scientific information on how various beings, from one-celled animals to whales, find their way around. It isn't just bee dancing. Animals are documented (hard science documented) using methods including magnetic fields, astronomy, smells, prevailing winds, ocean currents, internal maps, memory, varying light levels, landmarks, azimuth of the sun, polarized patterns of light in the sky at twilight, and infrasound.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I have finished these two cyberpunk books, two of the most enjoyable books in that genre I have read, waiting on the final one coming out early next year.
In a future world ruled by warring mega-corporations, cyborg Nephilim believed she was fighting a righteous cause.
As a powerful, genetically and cybernetically enhanced elite soldier her brutal and violent life is not truly her own – until one day, a simple glitch separates her from the grid.
For the first time in her life, she is free…and she has doubts. Doubts that bury deeper into her psyche when she meets Jake, a mysterious, 100% bio-human.
For fans of Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell and Altered Carbon!
1633006226215.png

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
This is my first LIT/RPG book I have read, different it is by the same author as above but with a slight name change probably due to a different type of book. the blurb:
Kai thought he had the best job in the world. Playing VR games for a living. Not if the games are trying to kill you…
The Net is the last great frontier, a wilderness of data filled with mysteries beyond imagination. Bugs, a harmless annoyance in earlier decades, have become a deadly menace in times when gamers connect their brains directly to VR.
The Cyber Squad has been created to hunt them down. What used to be game QA in earlier times has become an elite, special force of the future, risking their lives to keep users safe.
At first, joining the Cyber Squad seems like a dream job to Kai. He’s paid well to be part of the coolest troop the gaming world has ever seen. But soon he discovers that the Net is a way scarier place than anyone would have suspected, and bugs are the smallest problem he and his team will have to face…
I really enjoyed it after more so after the 2nd chapter, looking forward to the next one. Read it on my Kindle.
1633199110951.png

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I'm currently reading The Silmarillion for the first time. It's a little heavy, but enjoyable. Just got up to the bit where
King Thingol sends Beren to steal a Silmaril from Morgoth's Iron Crown.
:devil:

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
I've recently found three of the Lucia novels by E.F. Benson, and read them because my mother liked them. She thought the middle-class social climbing in the 1930s was funny. Or maybe she was laughing at all the characters. i can see some of the action is funny, and I did get a couple of laughs out of each book, but I don't quite get it somehow.

User Menu

Newsletter