What have you seen recently? 4

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
I've been rewatching the Silvester Macoy seasons of Doctor Who for the first time since the late '90s
and can I just say it's refreshing not to see the appearance of the sonic screwdriver to solve every problem
I'm on season 25 and just finished the Remembrance of the Daleks arc having started at season 24 and not one appearance of this device that I feel has been overused in the new seasons

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
I've been rewatching the Silvester Macoy seasons of Doctor Who for the first time since the late '90s
and can I just say it's refreshing not to see the appearance of the sonic screwdriver to solve every problem
I'm on season 25 and just finished the Remembrance of the Daleks arc having started at season 24 and not one appearance of this device that I feel has been overused in the new seasons
The Doctor using his magic wand, sorry sonic screwdriver, to solve every problem was really starting to irritate me in the reboot.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Ironically, that's one of the decisions John Nathan-Turner made that I approve of wholeheartedly, writing that tool out. Using the sonic screwdriver as a catch-all tool to solve problems is a double-edged sword, and I do think the overreliance on it is irritating.

Also irritating is that his name is actually spelled Sylvester McCoy...or, if you want to get REALLY pedantic, Percy James Patrick Kent-Smith. Sorry not sorry, he's my personal favourite Doctor, so I get more than my usual levels of pedantry... :p

I have been watching Cyberpunk: Edgerunners which I think is quite good (animation) on Netflix.
I hope that comes out on DVD. Hell, I've even started playing the game again partly thanks to that show...

ThinkingFox

Administrator
City Watch
Jul 20, 2017
UK
www.thinkingfox.com
I've finished watching Moon knight, it was Ok but not great IMO but good enough, season 2 might change my opinion when they make it.
I liked Moon Knight but there was something "missing" that I can't put my finger on. Like you say, Season 2 may sort that out.

I watched Matrix Resurrections the other day; am I the only one to feel underwhelmed by it?
Yes that was disappointing. Maybe I just don't care anymore? I feel the same way watching the trailer for the new John Wick movie. "oh more of the same but with more people?" meh.

...and ended up binge-watching 'Reacher'. I very much enjoyed it (I definitely found it preferable to the Tom Cruise films) and am now looking forward to a second series. :)
Reacher turned out to be surprisingly great as a series and much much closer to the books. The plan, as I understand it as we also work with the team on JackReacher.com (humble brag) is to make a series per book for so long as they have decent viewer numbers. This could just be an unfounded rumour though.

Other stuff:

1899 (I think it's on iplayer for UK members) - pretty decent dystopian sci-fi series

The English - a "western" series but more of a mystery/thriller/love story set to a "western" backdrop

Peripheral - sci-fi series, again dystopian post-come kind of extinction/apocalyptic event

Slow Horses - apple TV I'm afraid, based on the books, and bloody brilliant MI5 misfits solving state crimes stuff

Foundation - another apple TV thing, but very well produced for a wider audience

enjoy

TF

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Just wondering: has anyone seen "The Gilded Age"? I've seen very short advertisements here and there for it, and it looks interesting, but I don't get HBO, so I haven't seen it yet.

However, I saw the DVD yesterday at a local electronics store. Is it good?

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I have just finished watching The Witcher: Blood Origins, IMO brilliant the first two set up the back story of how they all meet, the next two are the killer ones excellent short series, making me look really forward to series three did a re-watch of S2 to keep things fresh in my mind.:love::mrgreen:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'm currently working my way through the latest "Star "Trek" series; "Strange New Worlds" and I am really enjoying the original Enterprise under Captain Pike's leadership. It's really good and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Watchers of Star Trek Discovery, will be aware of some of the major characters - including Captain Pike, Number One and Spock. but also nurse Christine Chapel. Well worth a watch.

User Menu

Newsletter