wots on your to read pile

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
May 8, 2011
Sunnydale Highschool
Today I got my Easter holidays from school so I have 16 days of no school to do as much reading as I want so on my Easter TBR shelf I have...
1.The Secret Circle book 3 The Power by L.J. Smith.
2.The Chronicles of Vladimir Todd book 1:Eighth Grade Bites by Heather Brewer.
3.Uglies by Scott Westerfeld.
4.TimeRiders by Alex Scarrow.
5.The Medusa Project:The Set Up.
and if I get the time I hope to read Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children which sounds amazing :dance:

hattie

Constable
Jul 31, 2011
Austria
I still want to find out for myself.

There's a really interesting book about translation by Umberto Eco (Dire quasi la stessa cosa) and in it he says ther's so many people that tried translating Ulysses but just couldn't get it right.
Want to try finding out why it's so hard to do :)
It's like th 2 new german translations of Moby Dick :)

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
hattie said:

There's a really interesting book about translation by Umberto Eco (Dire quasi la stessa cosa) and in it he says ther's so many people that tried translating Ulysses but just couldn't get it right.
Want to try finding out why it's so hard to do :)
It's like th 2 new german translations of Moby Dick :)
Thats fair enough . Always better to draw your own conclussions.
The reason it doesn't translate is because its written in a stream of conciousness style (or vomiting on the page ;) )

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
hattie said:
Do finish Moby Dick. It's a great beast of a book with unexpected stuff inside. It changes from the beginning, a few chapters in, and the consensus is that the author was starting to write an ordinary book and suddenly got a great idea and went with it. Sort of like how The Hobbit starts off all "condescending to children" and suddenly stops all that and just tells the story, as if that was what he had to do to get it past the publisher's expectations.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I just got and will read next, A.P. Herbert's 'Uncommon Law - Being 66 Misleading Cases'. This is a collection of stories originally published in Punch in the 20s and this collection was first published in 1935. There was an excellent TV series based on these stories back in the 60s. I'm looking forward to this one. :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Tonyblack said:
hattie said:
Someone just told me she still actually writes in German and her books are then translated to English etc.
According to Wiki she writes in German. ;)

Wikipedia said:
Funke is best known for her Inkheart trilogy, with the English translation of the third book, Inkdeath, released on 6 October 2008. Many of her books have now been translated into English.

User Menu

Newsletter