Your opinions on the (often expensive) Discworld add-on books

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I'm thinking of blowing a significant amount of cash to overcome my resistance to buying DW-themed books not totally written by Pterry, so I'd love to get your opinions (or anything you know) about the following:

Turtle Recall. I have the Discworld Companion that covers the main novels through Thief of Time. Does this version repeat what's in the older one but with additional entries to cover the books written since then? Or has a lot of revision been done?

The Compleat Discworld Atlas: This looks really cool, but is there a lot of writing to accompany the maps and illustration? A book of maps alone without commentary isn't worth it to me.

The Ankh Morpork Archives: It looks like only volume 1 will be available in the U.S. but you UKers wll get Volume 2 I guess. From what I've read, it collects a lot of information from the existing Diaries, none of which I have. On the other hand, it looks like the DW Companion I have repurposes some of the Guild description stuff written in other diaries, so do you think I'd just be getting the same content in a different format?

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I'm thinking of blowing a significant amount of cash to overcome my resistance to buying DW-themed books not totally written by Pterry, so I'd love to get your opinions (or anything you know) about the following:

Turtle Recall. I have the Discworld Companion that covers the main novels through Thief of Time. Does this version repeat what's in the older one but with additional entries to cover the books written since then? Or has a lot of revision been done?

The Compleat Discworld Atlas: This looks really cool, but is there a lot of writing to accompany the maps and illustration? A book of maps alone without commentary isn't worth it to me.

The Ankh Morpork Archives: It looks like only volume 1 will be available in the U.S. but you UKers wll get Volume 2 I guess. From what I've read, it collects a lot of information from the existing Diaries, none of which I have. On the other hand, it looks like the DW Companion I have repurposes some of the Guild description stuff written in other diaries, so do you think I'd just be getting the same content in a different format?
raisindot, the Disworld Atlas is quite comprhesive Lots of arwork ,some smaller maps with particular chapters which contain lots of info. There is also a very large fold out map inserted under the rear cover which can be taken out. That one would be the best one for the money in my opinion. turtle index.jpg
The Ankh Morpork Archives is a revision of a few diaries in each volume not as much info as is the diaries but larger artwork maybe Ok if you don't have the original ones.

Turtle Recall is a slight revision which restores some of the older info that was taken out to make rook for the new stuff.
I have taken some photo's of of the contents index pages for you.
Contents Atlas.jpg Revised turtle.jpg
1st and 3rd one are for turtle recall, middle one for the atlas not quite the order I wanted them had a problem with the rotation. Hope this helps.

Yes, and no. There's been a number of revisions to the companion, but Turtle Recall is the most recent. To be honest, it may be better waiting - Stephen Briggs was working on another revision (last year, at least), but there's been no announcement about when that will be published (or even if it will be - they may have cancelled it). He did say, at the time, that the intention was for this next version to include *all* entries - even ones dropped from earlier revisions that don't appear in Turtle Recall. So, it may be worth just waiting a year or so for this to be published.
(I have at least 3, if not 4 versions of the Discworld Companion as I kept buying each as they were released).

Oh yes, this is definitely worth it (as is The Compleat Ankh-Morpork). Both contain giant, two sided poster-maps, which are wonderful, and there is a *lot* in the companion booklet - it's more of a book, actually. Lots of extra information about the city/world, going into a lot of detail about each of the regions, some new and wonderful lavish illustrations. Certainly not a disappointment.

Volume 2 isn't published just yet - it's coming out in October (UK publication date, US should probably follow - or just order it from a UK store or The Book Depository, or even the Discworld Emporium/Discworld.com)

The contents of the Ankh-Morpork Archives are the same as the diaries that they originally came from - it's just organised slightly better, some of the art is larger than it was in the diaries, and there's a few extra quotes about the content from Stephen Briggs and Paul Kidby at the start of each section. If you already have the diaries, and don't want to justify the expense, then you can probably skip it - there's no new textual content. But if you didn't manage to collect the diaries in the late 90s and early 00's, then this will give you that content in a lovely format.

I bought volume 1 despite owning all the diaries... *except* the 1998 UU diary, so I wanted that content. That being said, I've also pre-ordered volume 2 because I like the format, even though I know I will have seen all the content before, and can pull the diaries off my shelf to read it again if I wanted to.

To be honest, I've found *all* the Discworld spin-off material to be very worthwhile, with the possible exception of Dodger's Guide to London (yes, technically not Discworld), which didn't inspire me nearly as much. Mrs Bradshaw's Handbook is great, The World of Poo is a delightful little story told about some new, and some side characters of Ankh-Morpork, and Where's My Cow is a delightful picture book. The Science of Discworld books are fascinating (and do contain a few more stories about the wizards, as written by Terry), the Companion(s) are a decent reference book, with some extra jokes thrown in, and Nanny Ogg's Cookbook is a riot. The Folklore of Discworld is fascinating, but doesn't contain any extra stuff written by Terry - it's possibly another you could skip - it just looks at elements of Discworld and how they tie into Roundworld folklore.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
To all these, hopefully I may add my small (and Antipodean) voice. :)

Turtle Recall, as far as I'm aware, is simply the Discworld Companion but with more entries -- and the entries that already exist are updated.

The Discworld Atlas is certainly worth it. There's a big map, many hilarious illustrations, and some new information too. A very attractive binding, and even a built in (simple) bookmark.

The Discworld Archives, as Dug and Molokov pointed out, are especially worth it if you haven't read the Diaries before. There are many more details about the various guilds and other major players of the Discworld, especially in A-M. I was never able to find these diaries on first imprint, so I was grateful to see them again. :)

As always, these are "nice to have". Beautiful, certainly; informative, definitely. Not written by Terry, that is true, but even so, they are wonderful parts of the canon. :)

I agree with Molokov that Mrs Bradshaw's Guide is terrific. I re-read it not long ago, and came across a bit that I think I missed the first time. It's curious how, upon re-reading, this always happens! :)

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
the only add-on book that I can think of is that's not worth getting
the Wit and wisdom of Discworld it's just quotes from the Discworld books

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Also useful if you want to try to get someone interested but they seem unwilling to try a whole novel.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Nanny Ogg's Cookbook has a great deal of Actual PTerry Content, and was responsible for getting my resistant sister into the series. It also got someone I never met into it, as my sister loaned it out and the lady demanded that someone get her a copy of her own.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I got the Atlas and the Complete Ankh Morporkh. They're beautifully designed, fun to read, and show a lot of imagination in filling in the "gaps' of DW that weren't in the main series, but you can tell that Pterry probably had very little to do with the writing itself. Neither book is particularly funny.

User Menu

Newsletter