10 Fantasy Book Series that should be Turned to TV

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
These I have,
The Sword of Shannara Trilogy by Terry Brooks
The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny
The Belgariad by David Eddings
The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist
Plus I would add :
Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams
Fafhard and the Gray Mouser series by Fritz Lieber. :)

But it would cost a lot to do them justice in tv films.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
The Sword of Shannara Trilogy by Terry Brooks ,was accused of being a LOTR rip off some similarities but not a ripoff in my opinion.
The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist great series think G oThrones
Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams as above (1st book Dragonbone Chair)
Fafhard and the Gray Mouser series by Fritz Lieber great books it's also known as the Lankhmar series check them out Bouncy I don't think you will be disapointed.

jaeger

Lance-Corporal
Aug 25, 2011
Nth Notts
www.yamaha-thundercats.org
Mine comes in at #5 David Eddings The Belgaraid. There was a follow on series of another 5 books The Malloreon.

I found it not only an easy going read but a damn good one to boot, all of it. For those who have said they have never heard of the series, I would highly recomend that you consider putting them all on your 'to read' list.

Those who have read them, I wonder if, like me, you recognised Brian Blessed as both Barak and or Anheg ?

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Who's Wee Dug said:
These I have,
The Sword of Shannara Trilogy by Terry Brooks
The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny
The Belgariad by David Eddings
The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist

Plus I would add :
Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams
Fafhard and the Gray Mouser series by Fritz Lieber. :)

But it would cost a lot to do them justice in tv films.
I know the ones in blue well and would love to see them on tv (with a decent budget and cast/scriptwriters, etc.).

Just off the top of my head, I would also like to add these to the list;
The Mallorean by David Eddings.
The Elenium and Tamuli series, also by David Eddings.
The Dark Elf series by R. A. Salvatore
The Eternal Champion series (particularly the Elric books) by Michael Moorcock.
:laugh:

chris.ph

Sergeant-at-Arms
Aug 12, 2008
swansea south wales
belgariad one of my favourites, i was going to call my first born son garion, but will have to settle on next dane :rolleyes:

raymond e fiest is another of my favourite authors, magician was the first grand epic fantasy i read, and its nothing like game of thrones

enjoyed the first few shannara books then got a bit bored and started on sara douglas' crusader series instead

ive read most of the rest but couldnt understand why julian may's undiscovered country series isnt mentioned

Having read the article I see a problem with the Belgariad. After the first few episodes, it'd be the same script every week. :p

I'd throw my weight behind the suggestion of an Elric series and Fafrhd and The Gray Mouser. I would flippin' love to see them adapted well. (Yes, I'm perfectly aware that the Eternal Champion novels are as repetitive as the Eddings novels; I just like winding up Eddings fans ;))

I'd love to see Michael Scott Rohan's Spiral novels adapted, as well as The Borribles and Richard K. Morgan's Ringil novels The Steel Remains and The Cold Commands.

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Not a mention of Anne McCaffrey's Pern series of books. :( :( Now those would make a super TV series.
I had never heard of any of those on the linked list.

stripy_tie

Lance-Corporal
Oct 21, 2011
Guernsey, Land of Sea and Granite
I tend to stay away from the kind of fantasy in this list, consequently i've never heard of anything on there. Most of that kind of fantasy just borrows everything from everyone else in their corner of the genre and there's very little if anything original about what they do. It's just old stories re-hashed and written very badly.

As Tiff said Pern would be good or even The Rain Wild Chronicles by Robin Hobb.

User Menu

Newsletter