2 questions on the Colour of Magic!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

oburton88

Sep 6, 2011
London, UK
Hi people - brand new to the forum.

I have just read my first of the discworld novels and decided to start at the beginning with the colour of magic.

I thoroughly enjoyed it - but two really buggy questions have been left in my mind....

1) Why is Twoflower referred to as the FIRST tourist on the discworld? Does this mean that before twoflower no-one had ever travelled around whatsoever?

2) As Rincewind and Twoflower are falling through the air, they have the weird parallel universe experience in the aeroplane. Rincewind says during this phase that 'it would have been a different situation has Twoflower been a Magnox Reactor'... what on earth does that mean?!

I know these are really specific questions but they'll play on my mind if I don't get answers!

Many thanks!

hattie

Constable
Jul 31, 2011
Austria
Welcome to the forum!
I can't say anything to answer the second question, but I think a have an idea concerning your first question.

I think he's referred to as the first tourist because he's the first weird guy running around making photographs and finding the ways other cultures work interesting and fascinating.
I think people DO travel, but in a Nanny Ogg kind of way, e.g. by firmly behaving the way you would behave at home, talking the way you would at home and not adapting whatsoever to what's going on around them.

hope that makes sense :)

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter