3D

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
So do you think that this is just a fad? Do you love it? Hate it?

While some films like Avatar, despite the poor storyline, benefited from the addition of Digital 3D. I think that right now its about cashing in on the fad.

I think every major animated film that will be coming out for the rest of the year is getting a digital 3D treatment.

I guess only time will tell if this is simply a fad or if this is going to set the tone for how the movie experience will be from here on out.

Cheers.

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
It's kind of annoying though. I find myself feeling tired and stressed in the area of my eyes when I leave the theatre.

And I still think that not every film deserves this treatment. Just because the technological capability is there, does not mean it should be utilized.

Cheers.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
So you're all for Black and white movies with no dialogue then? :laugh:

I've never seen a 3D movie, but I enjoy micro-adventure at Tokyo Disneyland.

Sorry to say this Fizz, but you sound like someone's Grandad. "When I were young we didn't have them new-fangled digital watches and the intertubes".

You're a student FFS!

(PS, Well done Canada for not letting Anne Coulter speak! If she'd made those comments about banning Muslims from flying in the UK, she'd have been done for racial incitement! The woman is a dangerous, certified looney)

Cheers.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I can't comment on 3D as I haven't seen a movie either. o_O

Does anyone know if movies at the cinema are still all light shone through film?

It seems a bit odd to me that with all the technical advances in other things, they seem to still be using the same technique to show movies that they did when they were first invented. :)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
:laugh: No idea Tony. But they don't have an intermission, so presumably they've come up with something more advanced ;)

I saw Avatar in 3D, and it was quite an assault on the senses, but in a good way. I think it would have been a bit lame otherwise. But I can't really see why Up (which had a lovely story, aaah!) would need to be in 3D. Surely that would just detract from the plot?

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
I'm not saying that we shouldn't have 3D films. And of course I love all the cool technology that we have that allows us to enjoy some of the mind-blowing films that we have.

But....that being said.

I walked out of Avatar with a massive headache. And I've talked with loads of other people that say that it does make them tired when viewing the film. Maybe it just takes some getting used to.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Dotsie said:
:laugh: No idea Tony. But they don't have an intermission, so presumably they've come up with something more advanced ;)
They do in the Netherlands. When I went to see Harry Potter there with my friend, the film just stopped half-way through and the screen went blank. I thought it had broken down, but it was just the intermission while they changed reels.

I could have used an intermission during Return of the King - I thought my bladder was going to burst. :eek:

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
You mean Dances with Pocahontas aka Avatar. HA!

That movie, as entertaining as the violence and special effects were, was simply TOO long.

I was on a date with a good friend of mine and at several points during the last forty minutes we turned to each other and both said, "When is this going to be over?"

Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
I've never seen a movie in 3D too,so I don't know.I was at the movies the other day and was in before the ads had even started.The screen went on and it looked like a computer was loading up o_O I have no idea how it works.

Jul 20, 2009
Lelystad, The Netherlands
Tonyblack said:
Dotsie said:
They do in the Netherlands. When I went to see Harry Potter there with my friend, the film just stopped half-way through and the screen went blank. I thought it had broken down, but it was just the intermission while they changed reels.

I could have used an intermission during Return of the King - I thought my bladder was going to burst. :eek:
Not in all cinemas though ;)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I don't think the technology for 3D has changed much at all since the 50's. The reason they never used it for feature length filming (if they did they kept it limited to short stretches), is precisely why Fizz doesn't like it - it gives people a massive headache and even nausea after about 20-40mins.

This latest lot is digital mastered so the media's 'cleaner' but when you take your glasses off the picture's still a double image so presumably they still use the slightly different camera angles which the dark glasses 'merge' for you to give you illusion of it being 3D - how the hell they can do it for TV I have no idea unless it's something to do with the screens I suppose?

All I can say having seen Avatar and Alice (yesterday) in 3D is that Avatar at 160 mins + was well worth the headache despite the over-simplified plot (in my head it's got depth though - loads of motifs and symbology in that, which would make a far better book although I don't how competent an author James Cameron is but then the screenplay is hardly complex... :p ).

Alice was marvellous visually, but I thought it didn't really need the 3D and it didn't seem to be that noticeable because of the rest of the CGI which was spot on in nearly every case. The subject matter's surreal and 'impossible' to start with so it doesn't need to rely on the gimmicky side of things so much although someone we know went with a 4 year old who was totally entranced with the more obvious 3D element and kept screaming for everyone to watch out so she had the entire daytime audience in stitches :laugh:

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
I've only seen Avatar in 3D and I quite liked the movie (same old story, yes, but I loved the world and those cool trees. I love trees).
Anyway it would have been the same without this 3D, didn't impress me that much, we paid a more expensive ticket and I had to get used to that sense of vertigo :rolleyes:

Jul 26, 2008
where im working were at the moment configuring the new 3d/reald digital cinema systems for one of the big companies, reald is wow omg fantastic it blows 3d out of the water and another interesting fact lol is that anything screened from these projectors is watermarked so if copies are made they know where when and who was working the projector, damn theres loads of other interesting stuff about this but im not allowed to say lol probably said to much already ;)

Sep 9, 2008
XXXX
As someone who has to sit at the very back of the cinema in order not to get a headache when watching movies (half the time I want to be further back) I did not have any problems with Avatar (the only 3D movie I have seen recently) I went to Shark boy and Lava girl in 3D but that was the apppaling red/blue with red/blue lenses that just plain hurt.

I don't think evey film deserves nor needs to be shot in 3D but I loved Avatar the imagery etc.

I did buy the aviator specs on sale as I found the plastic frames of the freebes was in my vision the whole movie.

Oh and in the interest of scientific research (does that sound reasonable?) I conducted the experiment of watching the movie more then once. (okay about 4 times what can I say I want to be a Navii)

User Menu

Newsletter