SPOILERS A Hat Full of Sky Discussion **Spoilers**

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Tony, you may want to move the Unseen Academicals and Snuff discussions from the Latest Books section into this forum, at least provide a link to them in your Discussions topic.

Jus' a thought.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
raisindot said:
Tony, you may want to move the Unseen Academicals and Snuff discussions from the Latest Books section into this forum, at least provide a link to them in your Discussions topic.

Jus' a thought.
Yep, it's a good idea and one that I had been thinking of. ;)

Bron H

Jan 12, 2012
Powys, Mid Wales
I think I quite liked this book. It was the second discworld book I ever read (after Wee Free Men).
I liked the fact that Granny was in it more.
I rate this book 13/20 (OK) but it could be higher if i reread it)

raptornx01 said:
Tonyblack said:
raptornx01 said:
what i meant was realizing Granny had been listening in :laugh:
Are you saying that Granny was listening to what Tiffany was thinking?

I hadn't read it like that at all and hadn't even considered that. :think:
I thought it was obvious. guess not :laugh:

I also always thought it was ovious - and had to laugh out loud every time I read it.

I didn't exactly understand this as "reading minds" in the common manner, but as a variation of "soft" borrowing. A tiny part of Granny capable of wandering in someones mind and, well, knowing their thoughts, or just meaning or pictures of their thoughts (what ever there may possible).

She has done it before, walking around and her mind at the same time being there and somewhere else.
(In Carpe Jugulum)
And I may err but wasn't there also already an incident in Equal Rites with Esk and an eagle and wiggling around in her mind?

And now she perhaps is even more powerful since then, more experienced.
Although I don't think she has to need, it would have been rather easy to do this.

So I see no difficulty to wander with Tiff throug the woods and slightly watching Tiff's thoughts/mind.

Jan 26, 2014
Wales, UK
Tonyblack said:
raptornx01 said:
what i meant was realizing Granny had been listening in :laugh:
Are you saying that Granny was listening to what Tiffany was thinking?

I hadn't read it like that at all and hadn't even considered that. :think:
Just finished hat full of sky last night, I read it like this too, That Mistress weatherwax was listening to what tiffany was thinking when she tripped! Poor Hiver though, is he actually dead I wonder, or has he just been tricked into wandering the black desert for all eternity? :think: :think:
All round I enjoyed, not enough feegles for my likeing Though! Im starting Wintersmith tonight, hope it contains more feegley goodness than Hat full of sky :laugh: :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Oh I think the Hiver died. There was no trickery involved but a lot of compassion from Tiffany in understanding the hiver. It wasn't evil, it was just surviving because it couldn't do anything else. Tiffany gave it peace by letting it die. Interesting to think of that in terms with Terry's own feelings about the end of life.

Jan 26, 2014
Wales, UK
Yes, the comparison with Sir Terry's own situation hadn't crossed my mind, makes that part in the book an even more sad situation :( As for the hiver dying, yes I should like to think that too Tony, that it did get what it wanted and crossed over. Happy Hiver now :)

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I find it hard to read the Tiffany books -- not because they're bad (they're not -- they're excellent), but because I always feel bad for Tiffany and the other girls, especially Amber Petty. :cry:

I think Tiffany does the right things by her and her father. (I better not say much more, or I might spoil it - sorry!)

User Menu

Newsletter