A Short History of Nearly Everything

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Da Gamer

Lance-Constable
Aug 23, 2010
Has anyone else read 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' by Bill Bryson it took me a long time and contained so much information to digest but it was definitely worth it and I would recommend it to anyone interested in science and the world around you.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Disclaimer: I love Bill Bryson's travel books, finding them to be a much more humorous and sunny alternative to the dour and cynical travel books of people like Paul Theroux. However, I find some of his "histories" to be problemmatic.

"A Short History" is one of his better non-travel books, although it really is a Cliff's Notes guide to the history of major developments in the fields of astronomy, physics, biology and geology.

My main problem with it is that it tells the story of scientific developments without actually providing real insights or understanding of the science it's documenting. Bryson will be the first to admit this, brushing away an much-needed explanation of a difficult concept with a "we don't have time or knowledge to explain it here." It's always easy to tell that Bryson's research is based on secondary sources, which he doesn't footnote. Some of his scenes are little more than rewritten versions of content in other books I've read.

Still, as a one-volume, breezy overview of the history of science it's quite good, although one would be better off reading single volume histories of a particular field written by experts in their field. (I don't have the Bryson in front of me, but I think he has a good bibliography here)

In any case, the book is a hell of a lot better than his absolutely terrible "biography" of Shakespeare.

J-I-B

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I really enjoyed ASHONE, I could quite happily read it again some day. Even if he doesn't go into detail sometimes, that's fine - too much detail makes for a very dry book, and isn't necessary anyway. I haven't read anything else he's written, just because the content doesn't really appeal to me.

Da Gamer

Lance-Constable
Aug 23, 2010
Well although they don't delve too much into the scientific research it gives a great overview of things especially for someone who does not know too much about science.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Dotsie said:
I really enjoyed ASHONE, I could quite happily read it again some day. Even if he doesn't go into detail sometimes, that's fine - too much detail makes for a very dry book, and isn't necessary anyway. I haven't read anything else he's written, just because the content doesn't really appeal to me.
Hmmmm...I want to make it my mission to entice you to read some of his other books. You may at least want to give "A Walk in the Woods" a try. His hilarious narrative of his half-assed effort to walk the entire Appalachian trail, with his slovenly friend sometimes in tow, would appeal to those who enjoy some of the better Colon/Nobby exploits.

:eek:

J-I-B

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
You don't have to make it your mission :laugh: I've just had a quick look at my library website & they have it in, so I'll pick it up when I have the chance. I'm very open minded when people recommend books ;)

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Dotsie said:
You don't have to make it your mission :laugh: I've just had a quick look at my library website & they have it in, so I'll pick it up when I have the chance. I'm very open minded when people recommend books ;)
Mission accomplished. If you don't like it, I'll take the blame. :laugh:

J-I-B

I've not read all of this yet, but I'm enjoying it so far. A good read of the history of all things scientific - so long as you concentrate on the history, not the science ;) . I also read Bill Bryson's 'Down Under' - A real insight into how Australia is perceived from an outsider's point of view.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Quark said:
I've not read all of this yet, but I'm enjoying it so far. A good read of the history of all things scientific - so long as you concentrate on the history, not the science ;) . I also read Bill Bryson's 'Down Under' - A real insight into how Australia is perceived from an outsider's point of view.
In the state's it's called 'In a Sunburnt Country." Also well done.

Bryson likes to play up his "outsider's image' in his travel books. He say legitimate reason to--although America, he lived in Britain for many years and he made coming back to live in the States the subject of his book "I'm a Stranger Here Myself."

J-I-B

Annebn

Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Germany
I haven't read A short history... (it's somewhere in my much to big "to read" pile), but I enjoyed both Neither here nor There and Notes from a small Island a lot.

User Menu

Newsletter