A song of ice and fire

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Dec 15, 2008
Norway
Has anyone read this book series by George R R Martin?
I read someplace that he was the "new Tolkien" so I got curious and started reading his books.
The books are great, I'm on book 3 now, but I don't think it's really right comparing him to Tolkien. It's a different type of story in my view. The George Martin books are, at least up until now, much more focused on politics and there's lots more intrigues (and sex) in them.

Dec 15, 2008
Norway
Oh, Boromir :laugh:
Yeah, well we know he makes a good knight so why not?

Have you read Martin, Jan? It would be interesting to hear what you make of the series, you being the Oracle of Tolkien :)

Willem

Sergeant
Jan 11, 2010
Weert, The Netherlands
Game of Thrones is brilliant, I hope the show does it justice. And since they plan to make each book into a season, I hope Mr Martin gets over his writer's block since they've only just announced the release date for book 5 :)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
WannabeAngua said:
Oh, Boromir :laugh:
Yeah, well we know he makes a good knight so why not?

Have you read Martin, Jan? It would be interesting to hear what you make of the series, you being the Oracle of Tolkien :)
I've not 'persevered' shall we say :laugh: I have read a paragraph of two of the first book (on Amazon) at the insistence of 2 good Tolkien forum friends who adore RPing his work, but he didn't 'catch' me and the synopses of the books didn't appeal either.

TBH I don't like being told someone's 'better' than Tolkien or 'wiser' than Pratchett because I don't want to read another LotR-a-like or a wannabe Witch learnign her trade *yawns* I want to read a new tale and something different so perhaps I'm v. unfair but I just didn't get hooked by him - yet. I'll watch the 1st episode of this for sure - I'll watch SB in anything after all! :laugh: And maybe I'll get into this finally. :laugh:

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Jan Van Quirm said:
TBH I don't like being told someone's 'better' than Tolkien or 'wiser' than Pratchett because I don't want to read another LotR-a-like or a wannabe Witch learnign her trade *yawns* I want to read a new tale and something different so perhaps I'm v. unfair but I just didn't get hooked by him - yet. I'll watch the 1st episode of this for sure - I'll watch SB in anything after all! :laugh: And maybe I'll get into this finally. :laugh:
I'm with Jan on this one. To be honest I've probably discarded, out of hand, many opportunities to read what are possibly excellent books because the blurb on the back contained a phrase similar to, "Comparable to Tolkien at his best". ;)

Willem

Sergeant
Jan 11, 2010
Weert, The Netherlands
I wouldn't compare these books to Tolkien's work. Tolkien is epic fantasy with a very black and white idea of good and evil. Martin writes about political intrigues and warmongering, there are many shades of grey. All this just happens to take place in a fantasy setting.

Then again, Tolkien's name sells books so that's why publisher love putting it on covers and in blurbs :)

Dec 15, 2008
Norway
Then again, Tolkien's name sells books so that's why publisher love putting it on covers and in blurbs
Yup, that's exactly what's been going on here, saying he's the next Tolkien is just to sell books. (If I'd been Martin I would personally feel a bit pissed off by that - it makes it sound as if his books can't sell by their own accord - which they absolutely can.)

Really Jan, it's quite safe, it's not like reading Tolkien at all. I love Tolkien as well and I don't feel like I'm cheating on him, not even a little bit.

Wrecks

Lance-Constable
Aug 19, 2010
Oklahoma
www.investcomics.com
Jan Van Quirm said:
I can't remember which forum I saw this on now but they've made a TV series for Game of Thrones that's showing on Sky next month - with SEAN BEAN! 8) :laugh:
Yeah, I've heard quite a bit about this! I really should find and read these books for myself! Although with the show, I honestly think Triple H from the WWE would fit in nicely on it!

Dec 15, 2008
Norway
Jan Van Quirm said:
I can't remember which forum I saw this on now but they've made a TV series for Game of Thrones that's showing on Sky next month - with SEAN BEAN! 8) :laugh:
I don't have Sky! :x

Willem said:
Game of Thrones is brilliant, I hope the show does it justice. And since they plan to make each book into a season, I hope Mr Martin gets over his writer's block since they've only just announced the release date for book 5
Just finished the fourth book yesterday. Noticed that he wrote in it that he hoped number five would be out the following year (in that case it should have come out in 2006). It's taken him 5 extra years to complete book 5 :eek: How many books does he plan to write in this series? I hope he's doesn't spend 5 years writing the next book as well o_O

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
WannabeAngua said:
Jan Van Quirm said:
I don't have Sky! :x

Willem said:
Game of Thrones is brilliant, I hope the show does it justice. And since they plan to make each book into a season, I hope Mr Martin gets over his writer's block since they've only just announced the release date for book 5
Just finished the fourth book yesterday. Noticed that he wrote in it that he hoped number five would be out the following year (in that case it should have come out in 2006). It's taken him 5 extra years to complete book 5 :eek: How many books does he plan to write in this series? I hope he's doesn't spend 5 years writing the next book as well o_O
He has been writing other books in between and co-edited Songs of the Dying Earth.

nickinwestwales

Lance-Constable
Jan 9, 2011
Well I for one am enjoying it hugely,I actually find it frustrating that when we have watched each episode I then have to go back to whichever book I am currently reading and re-connect with a different plot....read the books a while ago-Is a pretty fair interpretation for my money-Mark Addy as King Robert impresses,as does Sean Bean....I love the Dothraki tribe-teetering on the edge of caricature.....Also the Lanister Dwarf (forget his name ) -a strong character.....and if memory serves,Ned Stark`s youngest daughter ( and her Dire Wolf partner ) assume a larger role as the story progresses.......And gotta love the baby-doll blonde `Sister of the Dragon <currently encased in molten gold >`Hey:- Anyone that can eat a raw horses heart is O.K with me -this is a chick with ambition ....cant fault it

ATB
Nick

Antiq

Sergeant
Nov 23, 2010
Ireland
I want to read them. I'm watching Thrones at the moment, just waiting for episode 10 to be up on the net :laugh: and it's fascinating, so I'm curious to know what the books are like.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
I went to Chapters bookshop in the big city up the road and they had the first four parts of the series out at buy one get one free so it worked out at 5.50 euro per book. I bought the first two to see if i liked them and i've read the first one and it was bloody great. If you like LOTR and suchlike you'll enjoy it . Series has been great . Like you i'm counting down to sunday night when someone will be kind enough to stick it on the interweb :laugh:

Antiq

Sergeant
Nov 23, 2010
Ireland
pip said:
I went to Chapters bookshop in the big city up the road and they had the first four parts of the series out at buy one get one free so it worked out at 5.50 euro per book. I bought the first two to see if i liked them and i've read the first one and it was bloody great. If you like LOTR and suchlike you'll enjoy it . Series has been great . Like you i'm counting down to sunday night when someone will be kind enough to stick it on the interweb :laugh:
Oh that's good to know, I'll definitely read them so :laugh:
I'm guessing you use the same links I do for watching it ;)

User Menu

Newsletter