Anyone heard Robert Rankin's Brightonomicon radio series?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
In Retromancer, the sequel to The Brightonomicon (2005), Rankin has a footnote referring to an 'award winning radio series' based on the former.

Does such a radio series really exist? Has anyone heard it? Is it good? Is there some site that has it as a podcast?

J-I-B

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I should add that the BBC are terrible at marketing. They produce some top class adaptations of books as radio shows, but they rarely seem to think that they might make recordings that people could buy. :rolleyes:

There have been several very good Pratchett adaptations that I'm sure people would have loved to be able to buy, but they never made them available. The adaptation of Nation was particularly good.

Apr 29, 2009
London
That's the one I've got.

It's not "narrated" as such - those actors play different roles.

It has the end credits on every episode, so I'm assuming that it's a straight copy of the radio shows.

I have to say that the Brightonomicon is one of my favourite Rankin books, but they've left quite a bit out of the radio shows, mostly, I have to say, because it just wouldn't translate to audio - very much a visual thing.

Oh honestly. Now you've given me a terrible urge to shout:

I AM RUNE!

Oh, and David Warner's voice (especially if you're listening through headphones) is like melted chocolate!

I adore David Warner! :oops:

There's also a load of stuff at the end (like DVD extras) of interviews with Robert Rankin, and out-takes, etc.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Hmmmmm....

I may have to rejoin Aubible. I've started four different 14-day free trial memberships just to get my two free downloads, everyone one I used for a Pterry book, and then cancelled before the trial ended. Hugo Rune would be proud of my parsimony.

:laugh:

I was going to join up again and get the last two Pterry's on my wish list (WA and FOC), but I might have to spring one for Brightonomicon instead....

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Sorry, should have mentioned I did read the book. Although for me not as good as some of theothers, it was still entertaining and I could definitely hear it as a radio series.

User Menu

Newsletter