Anyone watch "The Tudors"?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I must admit, as a big fan of Allison Weir's Tudor biographies, I've watched this series since the beginning, in spite of its many historical inaccuracies.

But I thought last night's season 4 opener was just orful. Just want to kill the little strumpet who plays Katherine Howard. And how come Henry, who must have been, what, in this 50s by this time and would have weighed 300 pounds, doesn't gain a single pound of weight here? I know, I know, sex appeal. Still, when you heard him complaining about old, it's hard to take seriously.

Hope the remaining episodes get better. Hope they off little Kate's head quickly.

J-I-B

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
I think it's fair to say that historical accuracy is not what this show is about. This show is about eye candy, sex, and violence. It's just a soap opera version of what happened.

As if people looked that good and were that clean back in that time.

Cheers.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Fizz said:
I think it's fair to say that historical accuracy is not what this show is about. This show is about eye candy, sex, and violence. It's just a soap opera version of what happened.

As if people looked that good and were that clean back in that time.

Cheers.
True, True. One of the great missed opportunities of comedy is that Monty Python never ended up doing a send-up of that era. Can you imagine how good it could have been? Michael Palin as Ann Boleyn, John Cleese as Katherine of Aragon, Eric Idle as Jane Seymour, Terry Gilliam as Ann of Cleeves, Eric again at Katherine Howard, Terry Jones as the last one, and Graham Chapman playing Henry?

Rowan Atkinson's Blackadder shows were a pale shadow of what the Pythonites might have done with it.

:laugh:

J-I-B

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Yeah, it is pretty bad.

There's probably more appeal for it on this side of the Pond because most of us don't grow up learning anything about this period in history. Hell, we barely learn anything about our OWN history.

J-I-B

User Menu

Newsletter