audio book poll..

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Tell me - would you like the books to be just read or do you want the reader to do the accents and inflections? o_O

As with the Nigel Planer version of Lords & Ladies, I wasn't too keen on his version of the accents (some of them) - they weren't as I imagined them to be.

The funny thing is, when I first met Terry for ages afterwards when I read the books, I would always hear them in my head with Terry's voice. :)

Skazz

Apr 1, 2009
I don't really care for voice acting, I tend to prefer the smaller range of a single reader in a fairly normal voice. It's a bit like movies - often the visual image doesn't match up to the imagined one.

The exception to that are Kidby illustrations, he generally hits my image of characters with uncanny accuracy, or at least with enough character to make me think they work anyway even if they aren't quite how I imagined!

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
I have both audio by all three, since I work the night shift I have plenty of time to listen to them.

My first audio book was by Tony and was Wee Free Men and I thought it was great! Then I got Brigg's and that was fantastic.

I have a lot of Planners and I think for the Witches books his is the best. His Nanny Ogg just gets me rolling.

I like Briggs for the Watch books, but not for his Colon (TEEHEE! :laugh: ) which I think Planner does better.

For Death books both Planner and Briggs does a decent voice of Death, but Planner has done the bulk of the work so I think he does better on that.

Briggs range of voices for all the different races though just blows my mind! His work in 5th Elephant shows it all. Trolls, Vampires Werewolves, Igors, Nobby is a work of brilliance and also in The Truth the swithng back and forth of voices amazes me. So it is hard to choose just one for me. So I choose A and C.

As a side note, can you please add the names to the Polls so it is easier to vote. Kind of hard after typing all this to remember who is who.

Also, I need to add that I like Planners Vimes, even though Vimes was sober in the later in the books Vimes is sober Planner keeps his 'roughen drunkeness' quality to his voice. But Briggs has added the toughness that a commander needs in his voice.

Funny enough both Planner and Briggs Carrot and Nobby is just about the same, and either of the Vetinari is spectaular in their own way.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Tonyblack said:
As with the Nigel Planer version of Lords & Ladies, I wasn't too keen on his version of the accents (some of them) - they weren't as I imagined them to be.
I've just heard my first Planer-read audio book & it was this one. I quite liked it (better than Robinson), but I thought Granny sounded like a bloke (!). It was difficult to tell when it was narrative & when it was Granny.

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
Okay, for those of you who have heard both Briggs and Planner here's a question for you.

Whose Gaspode do you like better?

Planner has the street wise olde wise man about him, and Briggs has the loveable, wise cracker scamp about him. I think that it is just too close to call about him.

I do think that Briggs' Cherri and Angua is a lot better than Planners sorry to say.

So whose Gaspode do you like?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Penguin Random House are the owners of this site. Thanks for the link! These are pretty good. I've heard most, if not all, when they were first broadcast on the radio. Radio dramatisations are a great medium for fantasy.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
RathDarkblade said:
Um, the link doesn't work...? I'm confused.
It did work on Wednesday. Not sure why it isn't now. I just Googled Penguin Discworld Radio 4 and the first result said: "Collected together for the first time are seven full-cast BBC Radio dramatisations of Terry Pratchett's novels, with star-studded casts including Martin Jarvis, ...". But when I clicked on the link, I got a Penguin page but the article doesn't seem to be there now.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Wehey! :-D My birthday is coming up in less than two weeks' time... now I know what I want for my birthday. :)

40 GBP seems rather steep (just over $70 AUD), but for 7 dramatisations, is it worth it? :-|

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hooray! :-D I found this on Book Depository yesterday, and it was 33% off. It's now 30% off, so if you've been thinking about it - now might be a good time. I ordered my copy... ;)

By the way, speaking of Discworldia ... has anyone read either of these? Do you know if they're any good?

The Folklore of Discworld
Terry Pratchett's Discworld Diary 2019

I have a hard copy of "Folklore", but apparently the soft copy has even more stuff... ;)

User Menu

Newsletter