audio book poll..

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

mran6ry

Feb 22, 2009
birmingham
I have already read all the Pratchett novels am am obviously a big fan etc. I drive alot in my work and have been a huge listener of audio books so findign every TP novel on audio is a must.

The best examples are defined by the reader so far i have found three different readers of TP and was interested to find out what other people think.

I have found:

A Nigel Planer
B Tony Robinson
C Stephen Briggs
D Unknown

I am torn between A & C, Nigel Planner re-creates the wiches exactly as i imagined and his bumbling wizards from UU are perfect. However Stephen Briggs Cohen the Barberian is hilarious. Tony Robinson is not bad but i find his vocal range a little narrow.

Just wondered what other readers people may have heard and/or what their experices are?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I've gone for Stephen Briggs. I haven't heard Nigel Planer, but I have heard Tony Robinson and don't think much of his characterisation at all.

Briggsy is the man for me. :laugh:

mran6ry

Feb 22, 2009
birmingham
voices

thanks for the feedback, I must admit that Stephen Briggs has a fantastic range of voices but I have to say when you have heard nigel planer describing an argument between granny weatherwas and githa og you have to laugh!!

Tony R is very got at Rincewind and Eric is really funny but his range is limited and he seems to mostly read the abridged versions

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I've only got the abridged versions, when I bought them I didn't know anything different. Some have come from charity shops too. :laugh:

mran6ry

Feb 22, 2009
birmingham
Tiffany,

Thats all i thought there were until i had a look around, would recommend the Witches trilogy by Nigel Planer, check out 2nd hand prices too you wont regret it (or might..)

LadyL

Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Frankfurt/Main
Tonyblack said:
I've gone for Stephen Briggs. I haven't heard Nigel Planer, but I have heard Tony Robinson and don't think much of his characterisation at all.

This says exactly what I have to say about the subject :laugh:

But where can I vote now?? :oops: :rolleyes:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
LadyL said:
Tonyblack said:

This says exactly what I have to say about the subject :laugh:

But where can I vote now?? :oops: :rolleyes:
I voted 'C' - If I ever hear Nigel Planer and think he's better than Briggsy, then I'll post here. ;)

Jul 26, 2008
Stephen briggs is the best for me and then Nigel planner he is a very close second and then Tony........
Tony only does the abridged versions and has not quite got the range of the other two

But what about
Celia Imrie (equal rights and wyrd sisters) Really good
Stefan Rudnichie/Harlan Ellison (thief of time) Not so good

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
bogieman said:
Stephen briggs is the best for me and then Nigel planner he is a very close second and then Tony........
Tony only does the abridged versions and has not quite got the range of the other two

But what about
Celia Imrie (equal rights and wyrd sisters) Really good
Stefan Rudnichie/Harlan Ellison (thief of time) Not so good
Really? Harlan Ellison is a sci-fi writer and a very good one as well. :eek:

mran6ry

Feb 22, 2009
birmingham
I actually have heard some of the other audio books and realise that audiences differ the world over. Quite like the american version of the wyrd sisters but only listened to a snippet. I suppose its me thinking they should all sound brittish. Small minded I know, but it does beg the question what voices do other people hear?

Skazz

Apr 1, 2009
Tony Robinson's reading of Eric is the best audio version of a Discworld book I've heard. Something about the book suits his reading at that time.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site Skazz! :laugh:

I've now heard Nigel Planer reading one of the books - or part of one. I borrowed Lords and Ladies from the library and have uploaded it to my MP3 player for my Transatlantic flight next week.

I played some of it and quite liked Planer, but I still prefer Briggs.

Planer reads too quickly and while I like some of his voices (Magrat and Verence) I didn't like his version of Granny at all.

Sorry - I still don't like Tony Robinson. :laugh:

Jul 26, 2008
well cause of my job im driving alot at the mo, so im listening to them all again in order, CoM by Plainer was brilliant, LF by plainer again i think he didnt do it justice this time, now on ER by celia and to be quite honest she dosnt do it well at all, well she does a brillant granny but she just dosnt pull off cuteangle, its hard to imagine a big fat magician with a very femine voice, as for briggs not heard his yet so i'll leave judgement to that when ive heard him.

Skazz

Apr 1, 2009
Thanks!

Yeah I can understand that, sometimes his reading is a bit off.

I'd love to hear Martin Shaw read a Discworld book actually.

User Menu

Newsletter