Bottersnikes and Gumbles...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Now, I detest children. Can't stand them, especially when they screech or scream in places where they should be quiet. Public libraries spring to mind. However, if I was forced to answer a question about what sort of book I would recommend to a parent, I would choose the Bottersnikes and Gumbles series.

Now, while they have been heard of in the UK, some of you may not have heard of them, so I'll try and give the general gist of the story.

In the Australian Bush, so the story goes, there live two very strange species of intelligent creature. The Gumbles are short creatures with fluffy ears and very flexible bodies: they can be stretched and squashed without harming them. They clean up junk, and they're generally good natured, ready to give a helping hand. Problem is, they're also helpless when they're laughing, and they're slower than their adversaries and would-be slavers, the Bottersnikes.

The Bottersnikes are fat, almost reptilian creatures with long ears that get red hot when angry (which is a hell of a lot of the time) and almost terminally lazy. They shrink when wet, and eat garbage. Problem is, they also would love nothing more than to have slave labour, and they often try to enslave the Gumbles, by forcing them into jam tins when they capture them.

The first book, Bottersnikes and Gumbles, tells the story of how the two species encountered each other. The second, Gumbles on Guard, involves the travails of the Gumbles trying to save a lyrebird chick from both a ravenous fox and the Bottersnikes. Gumbles in Summer involves the King of the Bottersnikes being assassinated, as well as the Gumbles trying to prevent the Bottersnikes from effectively starting bushfires. And Gumbles in Trouble involves the Gumbles and Bottersnikes being trapped together in an old shed.

Anyone else has read these?

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Tonyblack said:
:laugh: I can't stand children either.
Neither can I...... unfortunately I only learned of this fact AFTER I had them....

:laugh: Nah.

Q. Point of interest! SOME kids are noisy in libraries... but its a GOOD thing they are even IN the library and not stuck in front of a TV or a video game. Libraries SHOULD be fun... to lure the children IN. These are the horrible little sods who as adults (having learnt a LOVE of books from going to a library as kids) will be reading to you as you lie prone in the nursing home dribbling custard down the front of your flannellette (?) pajamas.

Never heard of those books. Australian you say? Will have to check them out.

Nov 21, 2010
deldaisy said:
Q. Point of interest! SOME kids are noisy in libraries... but its a GOOD thing they are even IN the library and not stuck in front of a TV or a video game. Libraries SHOULD be fun... to lure the children IN. These are the horrible little sods who as adults (having learnt a LOVE of books from going to a library as kids) will be reading to you as you lie prone in the nursing home dribbling custard down the front of your flannellette (?) pajamas.
Well said Del! :laugh:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
spideyGirl said:
deldaisy said:
Well said Del! :laugh:
Bite me. Libraries should be quiet. I agree that kids should be encouraged to read more, but they need to be kept under better control by their parents.

As for having them read to me, I hope that by the time I am in a nursing home, I still have enough of my wits left to me to be able to read by myself, custard dribbling or not. :p

janet

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2009
North East England
I still have a paperback copy of Bottersnikes and Gumbles from my primary school teaching days. It was a favourite in the days when the school day was concluded in a peaceful and stress free way by the class sitting still and listening while the teacher read to them. Does that still happen?

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I remember being read to at primary school (way back in 1960s :oops: ). In fact that's how I mostly got into 'modern' fantasy (as opposed to mythology or the Enid Blyton variety :rolleyes: ) as one of the books read to us was The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe and got me voraciously reading the rest of the series up until I discovered Tolkien at age 10 :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter