Children's books

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Mrs Ogg

Constable
Nov 26, 2011
Australia
When my 11 year old daughter and I met Sir Terry in April of last year he suggested a set of books for her to read that he read when young. They are the Moomintroll series written by Tove Jansson and she loved them, so just thought I'd share the masters suggested books for other young children who love reading :laugh:

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
I happened across this thing about dubious childrens books.... :laugh: :laugh:

Why did the talking pinata cross the road with a boy carrying a baseball bat?
I have been collecting funny, vintage children's books for many years. And by funny, I don't mean ha-ha funny. I mean - Oh, my god, what were they thinking?! funny. Today I picked up these gems at a used book sale.

Do you think that talking pinata should be a little bit worried that Todd is carrying a baseball bat while he thoughtfully explains the true meaning of sacrifice? What are the chances that road leads to a birthday party?
Any other "inappropriate" or strange ones YOU can remember?

Attachments

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
MongoGutman said:
Here's a story I wrote intended as a childrens book - never really tried to get it published though.

http://mongostapestry.multiply.com/journal/item/22
And WHY did you never try to get it published?

It meets all MY requirements for a kids books.... I can SEE the pictures in my head when I read it.

Would love to see the artwork for it...

Did you know there is a 'formular" for most kids books?.... a set number of pages (set ups for publishing)

Kids get obsessed with themes... some go through dinosaur phases, Ben 10, Dora, etc.... I don't see the little boys room as having a theme as such (when he is being tucked in) but I do see seafaring items in the room, maybe shells he has collected at the beach, a fish skeleton, bit of driftwood..... maybe his dad was a sailor and there is a picture of a battleship on a shelf. Do they live in a seaside cottage and you can glimpse the sea far off through his window. Maybe his Dad IS a fisherman and he is just that bit too young to go to sea with his Dad just yet but dreams of the day he can. His teddy has on a newspaper hat he made for him.

The pirates would have to be "scarey" enough but also bumbling and silly enough not to scare kids too much. Since the Capt is fat, Phillip would have to be long and scrawney with a distinctive pirate outfit; this would work well for the the scene where they are netted with bits of Phillip poking out of the net (kids love to hunt and find things like that in story books)

The sea would have to be big enough and wild enough in the scenes where he is sailing it on his bed (after all bed is the safe place in a scarey storm) with Teddy standing bravely hanging onto a bed post his paw up to his eyes scouring the horizon for land.

Its wonderful Mongo.

You should DO something about this.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Well, if we're talking about quirky children's books, there's an oldie but goodie Aussie books that have an environmental bent, but not so much that it gets in the way of entertaining stories. I've mentioned them elsewhere in this part of the forum. They're the Bottersnikes and Gumbles series of books by S.A Wakefield.

User Menu

Newsletter