Clacks question

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

SimStars13

Lance-Corporal
Apr 25, 2010
England
On the blurb thing for the tv adaptation of Going Postal, it said that the clacks were like the internet, wheras I thought they were more like the telegraph system.
Which is right? And what do you think?

Thanks

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Actually, I'd say the Clacks was a semaphore system. Before telegraphs were invented, semaphore was used fairly effectively. It was certainly used in the Napoleonic Wars.

Where the Clacks is like the Internet is in the fact that it is a revolution in communication for the Discworld.

For the first time people are able to contact each other from one side of the Disc to the other is a reasonably quick time.

It doesn't work like the Internet, but it does bring people closer together in much the way that the Internet does.

I think Terry is using it as a parody of the Internet in much the same way that iconograph devices are parodies of cameras and the Gooseberry in Thud is a parody of Blackberries in our own world. :laugh:

Jan 1, 2010
Absolutely - whatever the technicalities of how it works the change in communication has simmilar possibilities. There's a book called "The Victorian Internet" by Tom Standage that is all about the Telegraph and it's effects - quite interesting

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
I would say that, in use, it's more like a telegraph (in that information is sent from point A to point B and is not publicly accessible).

However, in function, it could work more like email in that they could use multiple towers to pass the info along in case a tower failed for some reason (such as a witch flying into the tower).

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter