Colour of Magic - poll

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

The Colour of Magic

• Love it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Like it

• OK

• Don't like it

• Hate it

• Total voters
I'd say it's OK... Not as a first DW read, but when you know TP's style a bit better... I hesitated between "liked it" and "OK", but since "Love it" is the highest you can get, I sticked with OK...

('cause Small Gods (and many others) I do love, there are some books I liked, and comared to them, CoM is OK...)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
It's an age thing I think - if you were a fantasy enthusiast before CoM then it was literally a breath of fresh air in comparison to other author's work (and not in a Harry Potter sense as back then Fantasy was way serious and Tolkien ruled). I loved it then and I still like it a lot and in some ways it's a purer Discworld or a more raw and unformed one where humour is perhaps more studied.

I voted 'love it' in honour of it being the way I discovered both Terry and Discworld :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm said:
It's an age thing I think - if you were a fantasy enthusiast before CoM then it was literally a breath of fresh air in comparison to other author's work (and not in a Harry Potter sense as back then Fantasy was way serious and Tolkien ruled). I loved it then and I still like it a lot and in some ways it's a purer Discworld or a more raw and unformed one where humour is perhaps more studied.

I voted 'love it' in honour of it being the way I discovered both Terry and Discworld :laugh:
Sentimental value, eh? ;)

Maybe that's why I like Small Gods so much... that was my first DW book...

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
When I first read it, I was blown away. It was enough to get me to read all the rest. But I can't seem to get into it now, which is a shame because the one-liners were hilarious!

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
It's OK but no better than that, the jokes are strained to make the parodies of things that were almost self-parodies in themselves, I advise newcomers to the series to avoid it, LF and ER and start with Mort so that they won't get the wrong impression of the rest of the series.

I like it, it got me into the series and gave me a few laughs. I'm one of those people who can't read a series out of sync though, I knew that was the first one so I had to start there and go in order, and i'm glad i've read them all in order so I can see the characters progress but at the same time I think if I were recommending TP to someone else I don't think i'd have them start with the first few, the style definitely changes and gets better later on.

LifeChild said:
I like it, it got me into the series and gave me a few laughs. I'm one of those people who can't read a series out of sync though, I knew that was the first one so I had to start there and go in order, and i'm glad i've read them all in order so I can see the characters progress but at the same time I think if I were recommending TP to someone else I don't think i'd have them start with the first few, the style definitely changes and gets better later on.
I concur, still would reccoment the right order, though

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I loved it because when I read it there was not a lot like it at the time, although it is nowhere near his best it was the parody of Ffarhd and the Grey Mouser who did it for me, as soon as I read that. I liken that paragraph to the one in the Hobbit (riddles in the dark) where Bilbo is way down hidding from the Goblins and meets Golem who comes out with the line "what's it got in pocketses we hates it my precious " well thats the jist of it. My favorite bit of the book that was. :)

One Man Bucket

Lance-Corporal
Oct 8, 2010
Like LifeChild, I read the series in order and so didn't find CoM and LF weak at the time I read them. Compared to his current writing they're certainly lacking but they were good as a way to test the waters of the Ankh

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
I disliked CofM intensely when I first read it. And a recent re-reading made me think it was slightly better than I had first thought, but not much. If this had been my introduction to Pratchett, I am afraid I'd not have read further. Luckily, my first book was Equal Rites--and then the rest of the witch books.

Looking at it now, I can see things that Terry picked up and expanded on in better ways later. But I can think of several other series of humorous parodies of sci-fi/fantasy that I think are funnier and to some extent better written.

Still, it's interesting to see where Terry started from. But I assume he had a two book contract, because of the ending (or non-ending) of Cof M which still irritates me as a cop-out conclusion.

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
I am now giving all readers and order here: YOU HAVE TO LOVE COLOR OF MAGIC! Why do you have to love it? Because with out this one book there would be no Discworld books! How can you not love the one book that started it all off! So as I said: YOU HAVE TO LOVE COLOR OF MAGIC! Or me and my little rat friends will find you and run up your pant legs…. Then you figure out the rest! :twisted:

:laugh:

Aug 12, 2010
Bristol
LifeChild said:
I undoubtedly agree :laugh:

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Exp. Date said:
I am now giving all readers and order here: YOU HAVE TO LOVE COLOR OF MAGIC! Why do you have to love it? Because with out this one book there would be no Discworld books! How can you not love the one book that started it all off! So as I said: YOU HAVE TO LOVE COLOR OF MAGIC! Or me and my little rat friends will find you and run up your pant legs…. Then you figure out the rest! :twisted:

Sorry ratboy (or ratgirl). Just because something is first in a series or introduces a concept doesn't mean it has to be "loved." The late Robert Parker's classic "Spenser" series started off rather mundanely with the forgettable "Godwulf(sp.) Manuscript," and it took him close to four sequels before he started producing classics (unlike PTerry, however, the quality of his books declined rapidly over time). Not sure whether "The Hobbit" was written before the LOTR trilogy, but (to me at least) it's not a particularly great book and certainly contains nothing of the depth and sweep of the trilogy. PG Wodehouse's first Jeeves books were quite awful compared to the classics he started creating in the mid-20s. Just because you acknowledge that a certain book started a series of concept doesn't mean it's lovable. COM and TLF aren't loveable at all.

J-I-B

User Menu

Newsletter