Community

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Willem

Sergeant
Jan 11, 2010
Weert, The Netherlands
Is anyone else here watching Community? It's a great show, pretty original and wacky at times. Basic setup is that it's about a study group at a community college. There's often a theme to an episode, spoofing/giving tribute to a certain kind of movie and such. It's very aware of standard plotlines/developments in tv-shows and plays with these cliches.

This week's episode was perhaps the best one yet, called 'Advanced Dungeons and Dragons'. Considering the company I'm in here, I recommend everyone watching this episode :) Last season had 'Wargames' which also was a masterpiece.

It's one of the few shows that's almost guaranteed to make me laugh out loud - and considering I watch a lot of stuff while riding the train to work, that must count for something :) Give it a try - I hope it gets you hooked too!

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I've been watching it since it began, I guess my impression is very different than yours

It has never matched the quality of the NBC shows that follow it (The Office, Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock), and this season is jumped the shark from the very beginning and the show is nearly unwatchable. Apparently, the writers feel they can no longer just do a 'normal' episode but instead every one must somehow be a parody of either a TV show, movie, or cultural phenomenon. So we get the Halloween slasher film parody. The stop animation parody. The Lost parody. And, last week, the godawful fantasy genre parody. Or bring in Betty White for the old-biddy-of-the-moment reference.

Instead of focusing on making the writing sharper, or adding depth to the characters, they're just grasping at straws.

J-I-B

User Menu

Newsletter