SPOILERS Corporal Cecil Wormsborough St. John "Nobby" Nobbs Character Discussion

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Yes, Rath. And it would hopefully put a stop to the endless procession of wretched best-selling memoirs-posing-as-novelss about struggling New York authors with writer's block, art history grad students having torturous affairs with their professors, struggling actors unable to find love in LA and New York, struggling publishing assistants getting hit on by publishers, newly divorced women running off the Italy to find themselves, and just about everyone in the world trying to work through the psychological damage caused by their abusive fathers/neglectful mothers/evil siblings/evil uncles etc.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm. *LOL* I don't know - you'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator. Just look at highly successful trash written by "authors" like E. L. James, Stephanie Meyer and Dan Brown. ("Parasites" would be more accurate, but that would be an insult to parasites).

Personally, I drew inspiration from the ancient world. I wrote several stories set in ancient Britain, ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt, and the Mediterranean generally. However, I think of myself as Dr Chausble from Wilde's "The Importance of Being Earnest": as Cecily says in Act 2, "Dr Chasuble is a most learned man. He has never published a single book, so you can imagine how much he knows." :)

I've thought about publication, but the many pitfalls - shonky agents and/or publishers, people online copying your work and selling it as their own ... it's very disheartening. :( I've even seen websites that offer PDF files and Word files of Pterry's books. Sigh ... :(

User Menu

Newsletter