Depressed about Radiohead's new album

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Let it be said up front that I'm a Radiohead fanatic. As an old fogey who all but gave up listening to popular music after 1980, Radiohead restored my faith that they were actually groups out there that could put out music that was as good as the stuff from my era.

But after listening to samples of the band's new album (coming out this week), King of Limbs, I'm totally depressed. Is that what I waited two years for?

Just about every song sounds like the stuff on Thom Yorke's solo album. Lots of preprogrammed nevous electronic drum rhythms, heavy synth stuff, cold, sterile stuff with barely any guitars. There was only one track that seemed to resemble anything of its previous work. Since I am an RH lemming, I'm going to buy it anyway but I will do so with a heavy heart.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
It was the Arctic Monkeys for me. First album brill, second OK, third complete dross. :(

I loved OK computer, and Creep is one of my fave songs ever. :p
I saw Radiohead about 5 years ago and they were a big disappointment, so haven't listened to anything since.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
poohcarrot said:
It was the Arctic Monkeys for me. First album brill, second OK, third complete dross. :(

I loved OK computer, and Creep is one of my fave songs ever. :p
I saw Radiohead about 5 years ago and they were a big disappointment, so haven't listened to anything since.
Thanks for the warning on the Monkeys. I like the first two albums a lot, even though you can have a little bit too much of the "She's getting dressed we're going to the club dancing drinking going home having sex" bit, but never liked the third.

If you haven't heard it, get Radiohead's "The Bends," which is nearly as good as OK Computer. The double-CD version is fantastic, since it has a whole bunch of outtakes that themselves are better than just about every other band's regular songs.

Still haven't seen them live, and not sure I will this time if they play the King of Limbs stuff.

User Menu

Newsletter