Discworld has found its home

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
Hi guys! How are you? I just spotted this on Twitter:

SIR TERRY PRATCHETT’S NARRATIVIA, MOTIVE PICTURES AND ENDEAVOR CONTENT JOIN FORCES IN LANDMARK NEW PARTNERSHIP, SET TO BRING THE DISCWORLD UNIVERSE TO LIFE IN A SERIES OF DEFINITIVE SCREEN ADAPTATIONS

In an exclusive relationship going forward, Narrativia, the independent production company launched by Sir Terry Pratchett in 2012, strikes new development deal with Motive Pictures and Endeavor Content to create truly authentic Discworld screen adaptations.

Last edited:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
The same announcement is on Narrativia's website, too. :)

My first thought was: I'm cautiously optimistic. :)

But then I read more about it and found - hey, Rihanna and Rob are involved. So it'll be great! :laugh:

Then came my third thought: please don't screw this up.

And finally, my fourth thought: When did Rihanna or Rob ever do that? ;)

So I'm excited to hear this, and I wish Narrativia, Motive Pictures and Endeavor Content the best of luck. Hopefully it will be great! *crosses fingers and toes* ;)

P.S. I wonder if this announcement is anything to do with the production of "Night Watch" that's being filmed at the moment...? (In South Africa, IIRC).

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I always find the best adaptations are the ones in my head when I read the books. I have to say the recent adaptation of Good Omens was excellent. As to the other DW films, they were alright, but I wouldn't watch them more than once. I'm not even sure whether I've seen Going Postal. :/

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
I enjoyed them, and I think Going Postal was very good on the whole. Of course I have quibbles but apparently Sir Terry liked it.

Narrativia is not to blame for the BBC's decision to change everything after the deal was signed.
Rhianna and Rob have learned from that.
Motive and Endeavor seem to have the right idea, so I am cautiously optimistic.

Has anyone heard of Motive and Endeavour before now? Sounds like they're a UK based TV production company. However, I expect that there'll have to be another big party providing the funding (like Amazon or Netflix) before anything will actually get made. Given the slowness on many of the other adaptations, I don't expect we'll see anything from this new deal for at least 5 years.

It also seems that they've written that press release specifically to say "um, no, The Watch has nothing to do with us, creatively, so if it sucks then please don't blame Narrativia. We'll get it right in future".

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I haven't heard of Motive or Endeavour before now, but then I'd never heard of The Mob (who produced "Hogfather"), and I liked what they did there. So I'm prepared to give M and M (sounds like a lolly, doesn't it?) a chance. :)

Also, I wouldn't agree that the best reproductions are in the mind. The BBC radio productions and (some of) the talking books are excellent, indeed. ;)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
A little more on Motive and Endeavour.
Rhianna Pratchett, Co-Director of Narrativia, said, “Discworld teems with unique characters, witty narrative and incredible literary tropes, and we feel these should be realised on screen in a form that my father would be proud of. It’s wonderful to embark on this journey with Motive and Endeavor Content, who both perfectly share our vision to make this a reality.”
Simon Maxwell, CEO of Motive Pictures added, “Discworld is a national treasure and we are thrilled to be forging this new partnership with Narrativia and Endeavor Content. Together we will produce shows that will be loved by millions of Discworld fans worldwide, whilst also opening up Sir Terry Pratchett’s epic creations and legacy to new audiences. We launched Motive to make high quality British shows with global scale and impact and I can think of nothing that exemplifies that ambition more than this hugely exciting partnership.”
Lorenzo De Maio, Head of TV Advisory for Endeavor Content said, “We are honoured to bring Sir Terry Pratchett’s Discworld to the screen, in partnership with best-in-class producers Narrativia and Motive Pictures. Discworld is a masterpiece of storytelling, and we look forward to working with our partners to bring it to to audiences worldwide.”

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Because on certain online sources Rob and Rhianna have not been that enthusiastic about what the BBC have done with the characters depicted ,that have deviated so far from the story line. I will watch the first first one to see what it is like but it will not be Discworld, that is probably why they have set up the new company to make faithful Discworld productions.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm. Well, maybe ... but then, for us provincials here in Australia, we rarely get to see anything related to Discworld. ("Troll Bridge" had to be a special screening.)

I'd like to see what the BBC had done with "The Watch", just so I can make up my mind and not hasten into precipitate conclusions (e.g. "It's awful, terrible, BOO!!!" or "It's fabulous, excellent, yay!!!") :p

On the other hand, if folks down here (who never read the books) expect it to be Discworld - and it's not (as seems to be the case) - then I hope they won't mistake it for Discworld. :(

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter