Discworld QI at 2012 Convention IS a 'Goer'!!!!!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I've tried to find where we were discussing this last year but gave up :shifty:

Anyway :twisted: I've heard from Eelco the Head Monk of Cool who's in charge of organising events at the Con and this is what he has to say about our suggestion that we have a Discworld panel show of QI... :dance:

8-) said:
The QI session. Great idea, etc. Only, we never cam back on the who should present it and who should be on the forum. Now, I will still have to see if we can get one or more guests, but since I understood that the idea has been extensively discussed at the forum, is there anyone you recommend I contact about this? I have a few people in mind myself, but if there are other people you think are good choices, or if you can point me to specific postings on the forum, that would be great!
Now it was one of those off the cuff moments and we never really took it anywhere beyond saying how spiffy it would be (possibly in the Card School thread) so I'm directing Eelco to this thread now so we can mull it over some more.

Please do feel free to make suggestions on how to 'Discify' QI and any other brainwaves on who could be panellists - suitable topics/questions - guests - or even volunteer to help if you're going to be there? :clap:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Re: Discworld QI at 2012 Convention a 'Goer'...?

Wow - so if everyone chips in 0.01 Euros we can pay the National Treasure 9.53 Euros. :eek: Well it'll just about get him a pint at the bar but if he wants a packet of crisps we may have to have another whip round... :teasing-whipyellow:

OK - assume we have to make do and mend so who are know-it-all fans on Discworldly matters who don't mind getting up and making fools of themselves and could 'do a Fry' compere gig or the Alan Davis 'thicko' spot, then we need 3 more people, some of whom could be guests (I'm thinking 'joiners in' like Rob or Bernard perhaps)? :doh:

I'm gonna post over on the CA's forum and see if we can get more heads who'll be at the Convention in on this... :ugeek:

Bouncy -
:snooty:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

*Watches dustbunnies hopping all over...* :rolleyes:

Hokay - have been and planted the idea on the Cunning Artificer's forum and the usual suspects have been nominated (Pat Harkin and Chris Boote) and Chris has posted interest in being either of Ankh-Morpork's Fry or Davis types :p

That's the low budget option and quiz formatting angles kind of covered as Chris has done adaptations like Unseen University Challenge before and I guess the committee could hornswaggle 3 of the convention guests to do the honours OR run it as several fun quiz sessions using volunteer fan teams perhaps?

However - if they have more of a budget or willingness to lure some cheapish or fame-hungry celebrity into the mix who would you like to see in a glitzier QI X showcase in guesty glory or in some Disc-ish character disguise

Here's the Con official guest list for some inspiration but I suppose maybe look at some of the actors from the TV films as well?

Colin Smythe
Ian Stewart
Jack Cohen
Rob Wilkins
Lionel Fanthorpe
Patricia Fanthorpe
Stephen Baxter
Bernard Pearson
Jacqueline Simpson
Stephen Briggs
Ian Mitchell

Or just come at it from left field and suggest actual Discworld folk you'd like to see in a QI rip-off romp?

Let's say Moist (killhimkillhimkillhimkillhim...) would make a great smartass compere with perhaps Rincewind in the 'dopey Alan' corner partnered by Twoflower up against Vetinari and Vimes?

Jul 20, 2009
Lelystad, The Netherlands

Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen might be fun on a Discworld QI panel.

Maybe Stephen Briggs could take Stephen Fry's role? since he has the right first name :p

If you're going with actual Discworld characters perhaps Vetinari could be the host?

Or perhaps official guests can compete against fan teams?

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

Stephen Briggs would be brill at compering!

Tomorrow I'll do some cross copying of ideas between here and the CA forum - they're talking about tweeting the QI Elves about this now but I want to grab Eelco before we do that in case there's a budgeting issue before we all get too carried away :p

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

Bouncy - :character-jason: :laugh:

OK - some development news trickling in gradually from the other side on the CA's forum

Eelco's head of programming for the Monks of Cool and was in touch on this yesterday briefly to say that he had a committee meeting later so would get back on where to go with this, as they probably want it as something a little more dynamic than a fan quiz vehicle if they get the guests' interest and so might want to contact QI's production people semi-officially on format issues (the QI Elves for instance are on Twitter so there'll be some crossover I expect, but I want the committee to say how they want that organised before we start to pester them (the QI Elves) online.... :shifty: :p )

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

OK guys - things have moved on over on the CA's forum and we have the dynamic duo Pat Harkin and Chris Boote signed up to take on the Fry and Davies combo and for the one who's Fry to also act as chief elf. Here's my latest post on what I'm taking back to Eelco and the Monks later on today

Jan Van Kverm said:
Contact made and expression of keen interest received from Mr. Harkin providing it doesn't clash with his Maskerade and Charity Auction commitments :laugh:

I'll email Eelco later on this evening on the basis that we have people on board for the 3 main roles (subject to programme scheduling Chris and Pat can flip a coin or summat for the Fry post ) and anyone who wants to volunteer to act as question/research Elves/scorers will be welcome to input on the format/structure between now and the Con (and at the con if you're coming and want to contribute on the day). Hopefully that means the committee will railro... persuade suitable people on the honoured guest list to take part on stage. :laugh:

I'll be repeating the call for Elves on the Transworld TP forum, so between us we ought to be able to get a cracking formula up for 30 minutes or so of QI excitement - I think we could leave the scoping fairly loose so it incorporates Roundworld aspects (and lets the chosen guests wax lyrical if need be) but mainly focuses on Discworld of course and maybe keep to the convention theme of the early days of the Disc, or the Cor Celesti aspects perhaps? ;)

Please do carry on popping in here to make suggestions on format or any other constructive brainwaves - the post notifier appears to be working again! :thumbl:
So - the 3 guest slots are down to the committee to bludgeon somebody suitable into submission (possibly Bernard, Jack and Ian, or Rob if available) so we're looking for people who'd be interested in contributing to the content aspects as QI (Discworld) Elves and possibily a reserve guest spot if things go pear-shaped and someone has to drop out?

What the CA peeps are wondering is how the questions are pitched and if Roundworld aspects can creep in. Like I was saying I think Roundworld tie-ins will be fun so long as we keep largely to the convention theme, but all and any other ideas are welcome. If you're not going to be at the convention this is a way for you to participate and I'm sure the actual thing will find it's way onto a podcast somewhere online in due course so this a chance for us to say 'Hey I was a part of that!' :dance:

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter