Discworld Roleplaying Game (2nd edition)

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jun 26, 2017
www.philmasters.org.uk
Happy to be here, thanks.

Should this info also perhaps go on the New Books board? The book isn't exactly new any longer, but it doesn't seem to have been mentioned there before, and the PDF incarnation is definitely new.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
PhilMasters said:
Happy to be here, thanks.

Should this info also perhaps go on the New Books board? The book isn't exactly new any longer, but it doesn't seem to have been mentioned there before, and the PDF incarnation is definitely new.
It's probably just as well to leave it here. This is the Games section, so this is the best place for it.

Wow. Just scrolling down the games forum has my eyes boggling. I knew there were Discworld-related games (at least I'd heard of the RPG) but I'd no idea such a gaming industry had sprung up around Sir Terry's works. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though.

As an old RPG'er (I first played D&D on Thanksgiving break 1975) I'd be curious to hear from any of you who have played the Discworld RPG. Do you currently play it? How does it compare to D&D? How is it structured? And so on. I look forward to learning more about it.

It's based on the GURPS system (from Steve Jackson Games). I didn't pick up the Discworld RPG in the 90s when it was first published as it was already past the days when I'd done some roleplaying. However, as a completist, I purchased the second edition a few years ago... and I still haven't finished reading through the source book. It's massive, and dense, and very complex to understand and read for someone like me who hasn't done any role playing since I was a teen (and have never GM'd, nor played any D&D). So I'm not a good person to judge on how good a roleplaying system it is, but the source book itself is very hard to read from a Discworld-fan basis. I think the system may be over complicated, but that's from my perspective, and not necessarily from someone who plays a lot of different RPGs.

User Menu

Newsletter