Discworld Total War?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Baldiron

Jul 31, 2023
Kuala Lumpur
It seems that some people were working on making a mod for the Total War games. It's was meant to be played like one of those Total War games but set on the Discworld. Pity it wasn't completed. As a standalone war game it defeats the Discworld comedic purposes but as a fan-made mod it can be totally fun!

(But don't worry. There are already Discworld mods for games like Civilization 5 and Civilization 2. The one who's doing the Civilization 5 mod is planning to upload a new one if she has time)

Last edited:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm. Which Total War game did you have in mind, Baldiron? There's Shogun: Total War, Medieval: Total War, Rome: Total War, Medieval: Total War 2, Rome: Total War 2 ... Napoleon, Empires, Warhammer (three of them) ... phew. I knew I gave up on the TW games for a reason. :p

I'm sure there are Discworld mods for the Civ games, but when I'm in the mood to play Civ (which is rare, since a Civ game can easily take weeks to play), I prefer to play something realistic. That's what Civ is all about, after all. I'd rather not watch Mr Shine (Him Diamond!) using tanks and infantry to defeat the Low King's spearmen. ;)

Baldiron

Jul 31, 2023
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm. Which Total War game did you have in mind, Baldiron? There's Shogun: Total War, Medieval: Total War, Rome: Total War, Medieval: Total War 2, Rome: Total War 2 ... Napoleon, Empires, Warhammer (three of them) ... phew. I knew I gave up on the TW games for a reason. :p
I dunno. :) They didn't specify which Total War but the thread was in 2009 so it must be a game before the post-2009 games came out. Nobody followed up on it though.

I'm sure there are Discworld mods for the Civ games, but when I'm in the mood to play Civ (which is rare, since a Civ game can easily take weeks to play), I prefer to play something realistic.
I hope somebody will make a city-building Discworld game in the likes of Caesar, Zeus or Pharaoh which will highlight certain eras of Discworld history. And then when you click on the sprites of the citizens, they will make a comedic comment ala Discworld.

That's what Civ is all about, after all. I'd rather not watch Mr Shine (Him Diamond!) using tanks and infantry to defeat the Low King's spearmen. ;)
Hey! Now , there's a new topic I can start. What if the whole Discworld enters the modern age and "modernize" their army to a 1920s equivalent?

Last edited:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hey! Now , there's a new topic I can start. What if the whole Discworld enters the modern age and "modernize" their army to a 1920s equivalent?
The whole Discworld has an army? :) We know A-M doesn't (it's the regiments run by noblemen whose sole distinction for the position is the fact that they can afford a thousand funny hats - see Jingo). Klatch seems to have an army, but it sounds more like a bunch of hastily-patched-together militias as well. On the other hand, their navy is well-organised.

Putting that aside, the Discworld as a whole is still dealing with spears/halberds, crossbows and swords (so it's long before the era of the arquebus/harquebus, which started about 1465 in the Ottoman Empire and 1475 in Europe). Getting from there to the 1920s will be a gigantic stride forward. You'd need the inventions of:

- cannon (and cannon logistics)
- the combination of halberd and arquebus/musket
- the Industrial Revolution (done by Rising Steam)
- tarmac (to create roads)
- the Maxim gun (and other machine guns)
- the tank (re-invented in Small Gods, more or less)

It's a little difficult to cram nearly 500 years of military history into one book. ;)

User Menu

Newsletter