Doctor Who 2015/2016

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Okay, I'll start off this topic with a few Big Finish-related things.

Firstly, Sutekh, of Pyramids of Mars infamy, is coming back to Big Finish for a boxset featuring Bernice Summerfield, the Seventh Doctor, and Ace.

Secondly, I've got my first subscription to Big Finish, and expensive though it was, it was worth it (all that Christmas money is gone, though). With it, I got (in release order)...

1963: The Assassination Games
Afterlife
Antidote to Oblivion
The Brood of Erys
Scavenger
Moonflesh
Tomb Ship
Masquerade
Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories
Revenge of the Swarm
Mask of Tragedy
Signs and Wonders

With that subscription, I was able to get two free gifts, one automatic, and another of my choosing. I got automatically Trial of the Valeyard, and chose The Four Doctors.

I've also ordered some other stories. I've ordered through Book Depository the first series of Counter Measures (a spin-off based on characters from Remembrance of the Daleks), as well as a trilogy composing of Protect and Survive, Black and White, and Gods and Monsters. I've also ordered from Big Finish The Twilight Kingdom, Real Time, and The Rocket Men. And my wallet is begging me to stop. :rolleyes:

Yennorks

Lance-Constable
Jan 9, 2015
South-Africa
Re: Doctor Who 2015

Okay now to be honest about the new Doctor, Peter Capaldi, I do not think he is a good fit, for me he has spoiled the series and I really do hope Peter Capaldi will not do another season. He is a good actor but not a good Doctor fit.
He is like Christopher Eccleston as the 9th doctor, good but not a good fit for the role

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com

I've been watching a rerun of some really old Dr. Who's on the Horror Channel and Peter Capaldi's Doctor seems quite similar in character, attitude, and temperament to William Hartnell's original Doctor. I also like the Doctor being older as I felt they were starting to become 'too young' to be taken seriously in the role. I just wish someone would take his screwdriver away from him though! :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales

I like Capaldi's Doctor as well. I was getting somewhat fed up of assistants falling in love with the previous incarnations. Let's see River Song trying to snog Peter. :laugh:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010

Because I didn't spend much money on the Lifeline Bookfest, I decided to take advantage of Big Finish's latest sale, which is basically all the Doctor Who BF stories David Warner has appeared in. They are The Rosemariners (a story originally intended for Patrick Troughton's Doctor), and The Dalek Contract/The Final Phase (a two-part story featuring Tom Baker as the Doctor and the late Mary Tamm as Romana).

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010

MrsWizzard

Lance-Corporal
Aug 30, 2009
United States

I adore Capaldi as the Doctor! :laugh: After Matt Smith's finale I was really hoping for a certain kind of performance from Capaldi and he hit it spot on. It also revived the series a bit for me because, while I liked Matt Smith well enough, I really don't carer for Steven Moffat as showrunner. (I also realized midway through the series that many of episodes weren't even written by Moffat, which may also play into why I'm enjoying Capaldi) o_O

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010

MrsWizzard said:
I adore Capaldi as the Doctor! :laugh: After Matt Smith's finale I was really hoping for a certain kind of performance from Capaldi and he hit it spot on. It also revived the series a bit for me because, while I liked Matt Smith well enough, I really don't carer for Steven Moffat as showrunner. (I also realized midway through the series that many of episodes weren't even written by Moffat, which may also play into why I'm enjoying Capaldi) o_O
Too many were cowritten with Moffat. And while I have issues with him being a showrunner, it's partly because the quality of his own scripts have become uneven since he took up the reigns.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010

I've just gotten my second 12-month subscription from Big Finish. In addition, it's an ongoing subscription, as I started with a release on October last year, I'll be receiving new CDs until October. Including the free gift (underlined releases are yet to be released, and the asterisked story is the free gift), the stories I'm getting are...

The Widow's Assassin
Masters of Earth
The Rani Elite
Mistfall
Equilibrium
The Entropy Plague
The Defectors
Last of the Cybermen
The Secret History
We Are The Daleks
The Warehouse
Terror of the Sontarans

The Five Companions*

Nov 21, 2010

Tonyblack said:
I like Capaldi's Doctor as well. I was getting somewhat fed up of assistants falling in love with the previous incarnations. Let's see River Song trying to snog Peter. :laugh:
Ha ha, same here. Although at least River was an older lady and more of a match than others.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010

Well, as that's the case, let's talk young Davros. This is far from the first time a younger Davros has appeared. Not in the TV series itself, but in the Big Finish audio series I, Davros. Davros as a young teenager is played by Rory Jennings. His father is played by Richard Franklin (aka Mike Yates from the Jon Pertwee stories). As an adult, even before the injuries that forced him to use the wheelchair, he is played by Terry Molloy. He's portrayed as very much a mother's boy, and his mother is a vicious b**ch in the mould of Livia from I, Claudius.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com

To be honest, I'm not too sure about that episode but will have to wait for the conclusion to put it in context. I just hope they do not come up with a 'cop out' way to recover from extermination.

Am I the only one who wonders if Missy is paving the way for a female Doctor after Capaldi?

User Menu

Newsletter