SPOILERS Fargo TV Series Discussion **Spoilers**

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
This thread is for discussing the TV series Fargo (as there seems to be an interest in discussing it ;) )

BE WARNED THERE WILL BE SPOILERS POSTED HERE. DO NOT READ ON IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN FARGO.

Jan 23, 2014
Yeh! Thank you Tony!

I loved it. Found the ending totally what I didn't expect but then I should have expected it to be unexpected cos it's the Coen Brothers and that's what they do.

If you see what I mean.....

Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
I'll say from the start that Fargo the movie is one of, if not, my all-time favourite movie so I was keen to see what they were going to do with a tv series. Not at all disappointed.

mirandashell said:
I loved it. Found the ending totally what I didn't expect but then I should have expected it to be unexpected cos it's the Coen Brothers and that's what they do.

If you see what I mean.....
I knew Lester would get his comeuppance. I thought maybe Malvo would wander off to cause his devilment elsewhere. I didn't see Gus of all the characters putting an end to him.

I loved Billy Bob as Lorne Malvo. He had a malevolence about him I found mesmerizing to watch. Martin Freeman, of course, was outstanding as Lester.

Other stand-outs for me were Mr Numbers and Mr Wrench the hitmen.

Have to mention the setting. The snow was amazing.

The violence was quite shocking when it occurred but I didn't think it was gratuitous. The darkness of the comedy I loved so much in the movie is there but not quite as good.

Jan 23, 2014
The movie is one of my favourites too so I was also worried that they would make a mess of it. And I was not disappointed either! It had definite touches of Coen weirdness and humour but also was very tightly written and acted.

BBT was brilliant. I'd never seen him acting like that before and was surprised at how scary he could be. And yeah, I was also expecting him to just disappear. Especially after what happened in Lester's cellar.

Have to admit, I was very surprised at Martin Freeman. He started out playing his usual socially awkward character but once he let out Lester's pyscho tendencies, he was really good. The look on his face when he realised Malvo had limped off after the bear trap was amazing.

I still hate Lester though for what he did to poor Linda.

Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
I was gonna say Linda was the catalyst. But it was Lester's run-in with Sam Hess that led to him meeting Malvo.

mirandashell said:
BBT was brilliant. I'd never seen him acting like that before and was surprised at how scary he could be.
The bit where Gus pulls Malvo over in the car and Malvo frightens Gus so much he just lets him go... Wonderful & chilling.

Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
Yes it was very sweetly done.

mirandashell said:
The look on his face when he realised Malvo had limped off after the bear trap was amazing.
Damn straight. It was a bear trap... for trapping bears! Clever thinking but he gets out of it. I thought, this guy is the devil.

For the record, bear traps or any kind of animal trap is heinous.

cols

Lance-Corporal
Nov 5, 2008
ireland
Sister Jennifer said:
Yes it was very sweetly done.

mirandashell said:
The look on his face when he realised Malvo had limped off after the bear trap was amazing.
Damn straight. It was a bear trap... for trapping bears! Clever thinking but he gets out of it. I thought, this guy is the devil.

For the record, bear traps or any kind of animal trap is heinous.
I actually started talking to the TV at this point. Thought it was very clever with the bear trap but totally Malvo to manage to get out of it and get away.
I knew it wasn't going to go well for him when he seemed consumed with getting Lester.

Jan 23, 2014
I actually thought the opposite. When they were in the lift in Las Vegas, Malvo gave Lester the chance to walk away. But Lester's inner psycho said no so whatever happened after was his fault.

Jan 23, 2014
I thought that too. Marge is a sort of older and more experienced version. What Molly will turn into now she's Cheif, I guess.

I still think Lester got a lot less than he deserved.

User Menu

Newsletter