First Children's book?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Wolfy

Lance-Constable
Feb 12, 2011
What was the first children's book you ever read, if you can remember. I am not exactly positive on what it was, but I believe it was one of the Hooked-On-Phonics books with the detective dog :p I used to love those books!

Wolfy

Lance-Constable
Feb 12, 2011
Yeah i kind of figured this would happen with most of the members here. Must be because I am so young :p

Do you have any idea of what it could be? Even a little idea of like a vague memory of the plot of cover?

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
No idea what the first one was, as by the time I was 9 I had read my way through the entire school library, but very early on would have been Where's Wumpus by Elleston Trevor. I still have it, so just pulled it off the shelf for old times sake to find that it is the 1948 1st edition :) I should explain here that it was my mothers originally (I'm not that old) and is one of the very few books I had as a child that I still have, as I sold almost all my books when I moved to America.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I remember reading a series of books when I was very young, about a small guardian angel named Wopsy who was tasked to look after a small African boy named Shiny-John.

Years later I tracked down an online version and found it appalling. :laugh: It was written by a Catholic African missionary in the 50s and it's very dated and rather pompous to the point of racism.

If you are interested, you can read part of one of then HERE.

Grumpy

Lance-Constable
Feb 18, 2011
I really don't know, probably something like a teletubbies book or something like that... I really don't have a clue what the first book I ever read was, but I can name some I did read as a child... The first Harry Potter, tweenies books, and others. :p Lol! ;)

Jan 1, 2010
Don't know about THE first but there was a series called Puddle Lane (I think) which had dragons and other exciting things in that would have been fairly early in my reading life

TiffanyAching

Lance-Constable
Dec 30, 2011
The earliest book I can remember reading (or rather having read to me) was the velveteen rabbit. It's stayed with me for the rest of my life, and I can still remember the pictures. Unfortunately I can't find it in any local bookshops :(
Oh, and the little men books :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My avatar is the front cover <<<<<

TiffanyAching

Lance-Constable
Dec 30, 2011
Re:

Doughnut Jimmy said:
Don't know about THE first but there was a series called Puddle Lane (I think) which had dragons and other exciting things in that would have been fairly early in my reading life
I'd completely forgetten about those!!! I think I can remember one about a wizard who made giant raindrops to scare off a cat who kept sneaking into his garden?? :) Ah, happy memories

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
The first book I ever had read to me, by my Dad & probably the first one I read myself as well, was The Just So Stories by Rudyard Kippling. I loved hearing them again & again, bit like young Sam & his Where's My Cow? :laugh:

chris.ph

Sergeant-at-Arms
Aug 12, 2008
swansea south wales
the first books i read were the doctor who books other than the ladybird janet and john books, im dyslexic so my parents spent hours and hours reading to me and helping me read, the first book i remember rereading when i was about 8 was islands in the sky by arthur c clarke, i still have my original penguin paperback after 34yrs and i still do reread it every now again :laugh:

TiffanyAching

Lance-Constable
Dec 30, 2011
Tonyblack said:
Velveteen Rabbit is one of my missus's favourite books. It's still quite easy to get a copy from Amazon - you can get new copies for under £2. ;)
Thank you!!
I just ordered one. I even found one with the same illustrations as the one from my chilhood :) :) :) Thank you thank you thank you

stripy_tie

Lance-Corporal
Oct 21, 2011
Guernsey, Land of Sea and Granite
Depends on your definition of a book, do those ones with the thick cardboard pages and all the different textures like wool and velcro count? after those i think it was stuff like spot the dog.

I did almost all of my childhood reading post age 10 because I was basically illiterate up until like 8 or 9 and had to go to some kind of special literacy group until quite literally overnight i learned to read. One night I went to bed incapable of it and woke up that morning able to read at a 16 year old level.

I can still remember the astonishment in the voice of my english teacher even if i can't recall what he looked like.

User Menu

Newsletter