From the Grandfather of Cyberpunk

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Or at least one of them.:mrgreen:
1704674194707.png
One of my Favourites, published 25 years ago and quite a few things in it have become true or near enough, the rafts in question or similar craft, is eerily predictive of today.
Excellent read.
£0.99 on Kindle.
Snow Crash
By Neal Stephenson
From a #1 New York Times bestselling author comes a “brilliantly realized” tale (The New York Times Book Review) with over 113,000 five-star Goodreads ratings! Pizza deliverer Hiro is a warrior prince in a virtual world, where a deadly threat is bleeding into reality… One of Time’s Top 100 All-Time Novels.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Ooh, Snow Crash. I actually loved reading it, and the central concept of it was an intriguing one. I also loved the joke about 'listening to Reason'. :roflmao: I can't explain anymore without spoilers...

Man, it's been many years since I read Snow Crash. Definitely one of Stephenson's better books. (I mean, I enjoyed Cryptonomicon and The Baroque Cycle and even REAMDE but they were sometimes a slog to get through.)

Of course, the *real* granddaddy of Cyberpunk (and, I think, the man who coined the term) is William Gibson with Neuromancer, also another book I haven't read in decades...

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Sorry, cyberpunk isn't really my scene. *shrug*

I have at least half-a-dozen books I'm trying to get through right now. (Currently reading a history of Scandinavia, written by a Swede -- I'm trying to get into the Scandinavian 'mindset', because I'm writing a historical fiction, set in Iceland in the year 1,000. Wish me luck ;)

P.S. It's the first novel I've written that's set after the year 100 AD, so getting into the right mindset is a bit of an uphill battle) ;)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Man, it's been many years since I read Snow Crash. Definitely one of Stephenson's better books. (I mean, I enjoyed Cryptonomicon and The Baroque Cycle and even REAMDE but they were sometimes a slog to get through.)

Of course, the *real* granddaddy of Cyberpunk (and, I think, the man who coined the term) is William Gibson with Neuromancer, also another book I haven't read in decades...
Bruce Bethke was accredited with being the first to use the term with his book/short story "Cyberpunk"1980( I liked his later one "Headcrash as well) later picked up by the editor and author Gardener Dozis, but William Gibson brought it into mainstream use as we know it today.

User Menu

Newsletter