SPOILERS Game of Thrones shocker (SPOILERS!!!!!!)

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
AVAST, SPOILERS AHEAD!

REALLY AND TRULY.

DO NOT READ UNLESS YE WANTS TO HAVE TOTAL SURPRISE RUINED FOR YE.

There. Ya been warned. Apparently, one of the biggest topics in TVland out there is the "shocker" ending of the most recent episode of Game of Thrones. Those of us who read the books knew it was coming and were really just waiting to see how they would handle it (extremely well), but apparently among those who hadn't read the books it caused everything from heart-wrenching shock to floor-flooding crying and has been one of the biggest topics of discussion on the web lately.

If I hadn't read the books I don't think I would have had all anticipated what was going to happen, in spite of all the clues the show provided.

There was even an editorial in our newspaper today stating how "well-behaved" the book readers have been over the years in not revealing these spoilers in the TV show discussion forums.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
:laugh: It's like that YouTube video with the potty language. If you have ploughed through so many of the huge books, why would you make it easy for someone who hasn't?

Warning - potty mouth below the spoiler. :shhh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
The beans were spilled for me on another forum but I can't say that I didn't guess a bit since the Frey clan (what a great 'stretch' for Filch aka wonderful David Bradley :laugh: ) are such nasty b*ggers I couldn't believe how easily they'd rolled over for Rob's perfidious backsliding on the marriage deal his mum had brokered back along.

Mommy dying too was a bit of surprise but I thought taking Talisa to the wedding was extremely foolhardy (but then I suppose the Stark succession was always going to have to pass to Bran or Jon sometime...? :shifty:

Looking forward to series clincher/cliffhanger anyway and can't wait for Season 4 already - I'll still not read the books until after I've seen the series though since it seems very few liberties are being taken and the casting is just inspired. :laugh:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Do you want me to spoil a couple of things that'll happen in season 4 (in other words, what remains of book 3, A Storm of Swords)? Some are satisfying, others aren't, and there's one thing that'll horrify you...

Nov 25, 2010
London UK
www.youtube.com
What shocks me is that no one seems to realise that the Frey were entirely justified in the climax they provided to the wedding. The Stark matriarch had vowed (presumably on her life to the Old Gods and the New) that Rob would wed one of the Frey girls. Rob ratified the agreement so shared in the vow. When they broke their oaths their lives were forfeit and Frey's to take as he pleased. Admittedly he did break bread and share salt with the Starks but the earlier offence takes precedence and nullifies the host obligations.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
They do seem to have killed a lot of other people who hadn't sworn though Mongo? :p Granted Talisa would have had to have shared Catelyn and Robb's fate but they seemed to be killing all the bondsmen as well, but I suppose that was down to Robb's second-in-command switching sides. Presumably Edmure's been spared as he wasn't party to the original deal so he'll get his wedding night.

But yeah - why are people suddenly surprised that the 'good' nobility of Westeros are just as bad the Targaryens or as morally duplicitous as the Lannisters? :laugh:

Be very interested to see what happens in Esteros when Talisa's mum gets that letter she was writing in the nudd during episode 7/8 -
could be good for Arya when she goes off to find Valar Morghulis and needs her own army...? That's my next guess anyway :p
:twisted:

Nov 25, 2010
London UK
www.youtube.com
Haha - I made the same post on the imdb messageboard and they took me seriously. Apparently I'm a troll! I'm so proud ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/boa ... /215598700

I think I'll goad them again.

***Oh, I was joking btw, but then I'd expect most members on this site to realise that already...

*** I haven't read the books and I was totally surprised and blown away by the carnage. It's the best thing on telly by a country mile. Excepting Emmerdale, of course.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Lightweights! :laugh: I was going to post supporting you but couldn't be bothered to register :twisted:

Obviously their history knowledge is sadly lacking - countries go to war over broken marriage agreements :p

Emmerdale's not so great just now but there's a good biblical farmers/mechanic's feud brewing with Adam and Cain (you know I'd never noticed that connection until now - really a pity they didn't call the kid Abel... :ugeek: )

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
G.R R Martins take on what happened in the TV series.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/game ... in-1935780

Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin believes that TV bosses turned the Red Wedding brutality “up to eleven” on a scene that was already as “bad as anything”.

Fans of the HBO fantasy epic were left shocked by the vicious slayings of characters such as Robb Stark and Catelyn Stark in episode The Rains of Castamere – and creator Martin admitted earlier this week that penning such a slaughter felt like “murdering two of your children”.

Appearing on Conan O'Brien’s talk show last night, the 64-year-old said that while he knew how the drama ends, departures from the stories in his books were possible during the process of adaptation for TV.

“In broad strokes, I know how it all ends,” he said.

“I discover a certain amount of it as it goes. Of course, there’s no guaranteeing that the show will end the same way. I mean David Benioff and Dan Weiss, the showrunners who script the show, have been known to make changes, including in the Red Wedding.”

Martin continued: “I already had a scene that many people considered extremely brutal and as bad as anything, and they turned it up to eleven by including even more deaths than I had in the books.

“So there are at least four characters who are dead in the TV show who are alive in books still. Hopefully, it will end the same way in the TV show as it does in the books, but we’ll see.”

kizkiz

Lance-Constable
Apr 25, 2012
I spent ages wondering who talisa was until I realised that they changed robs wife from Jayne westerling to some random woman. lol

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BTW, guess what? George RR Martin and Peter 'Tyrion Lannister' Dinklage are coming to Supanova at Brisbane in November. :dance:

User Menu

Newsletter