How I imagined moving pictures

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

unseenu

Lance-Corporal
Feb 19, 2010
Hull,uk
I have just spent the last hour or so finishing off moving pictures which I got for my birthday and really enjoyed it.

One thing which hit me as odd though is in scenes taking place in the cinemas it didn't 'feel' like the discworld but more like familiar modern times.I imagined the premier of Blowne Away taking place in the multiplex I often visit,in my head the Patrician was eating his banged grains out of an ordinary branded popcorn cup in surroundings familiar to me.Also the wizards snuck in through a modern lavatory.

Did anyone else experience this strange phenomenon or do I just lack imagination :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
That was kind of the point of the book. :laugh:

Terry seems to have taken the phrase 'the magic of Hollywood' and said - what if there was real magic there? What if we had no choice but to make movies because the movie magic was making us do it.

The book is an homage to everything to do with the cinema on our planet, but given a Discworld twist.

It asks questions like - why on earth would anyone eat popcorn? What is it about someone who stands in front of a camera for a fairly short time that makes them into some sort of god? And why will people do almost anything just to be associated with the whole film making industry? :laugh:

So, to go back to your question - the reason it seemed so familiar was because it was supposed to be. :laugh:

dune

Lance-Constable
May 10, 2011
Reality leakage and all that ;) Ankh Morpork also appears to "move" around in time. In the early guard novels it is described as medieval, but then in Going Postal and Making Money Moist wears ties and dress in general is more Victorian than medieval.

ramtopsman

Lance-Corporal
Aug 19, 2010
manchester
www.youtube.com
I personally think it would make a fantastic TV adaptation

It introduces a good character to the next book as well (Windle Poons) But you will find out in reaper man once you read it unseenu

No i got the impression it was meant to be set in a 50s picture cinema setting when it talks about the Odium

Just love gaspode

User Menu

Newsletter