Interesting Times - Rincewind's speech on politics

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

TipToe

Aug 26, 2010
Germany
Hey folks! :)

I guess I need your help. I'm writing a paper at the moment and I want to use the following quotation:
„I know about people who talk about suffering for the common good. It's never bloody them! When you hear a man shouting “Forward, brave comrades!“ you'll see he's the one behind the bloody big rock and the one wearing the only really arrow-proof helmet!“

I know that it is from "Interesting Times" but I can't find my book to look up the page number and the things like publisher and year of publishing etc, which I need to quote it properly.
If somebody could help me with this in telling me the page number, the publisher and year of publishing I was incredibly happy. ;)

Greetings!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Hi there Tip Toe and welcome. :laugh:

The passage you are looking for is on page 197 of the UK Corgi paperback. Originally published by Victor Gollancz Ltd in 1994.

I don't have the hardback to hand at the moment.

I hope that helps. :)

TipToe

Aug 26, 2010
Germany
He Tonyblack, thank you very much for your answer. :laugh:
Since I'm a bit "slow" sometimes ( :eek: ) I have another question: Victor Gollancz Ltd. is the publisher, but what is the place/city of publishing (since it is not Corgi I guess. ;) ) ?
Well, sorry for being so full of questions. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
My hardback (I just went and checked) is a Book Club edition - so no help there.

Here's a scan of the copyright page of the paperback. It says the hard back edition was originally published in Great Britain. That's all the info I have. :)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Good luck TipToe!

I'll never understand why you have to reference the place where the book was printed - printers and publishers aren't the same thing, it's just ink on paper by this point (my friend is a printer so I'll just state for a record that it's a very important job ;) ). But you just have to!

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Dotsie said:
I'll never understand why you have to reference the place where the book was printed - printers and publishers aren't the same thing, it's just ink on paper by this point (my friend is a printer so I'll just state for a record that it's a very important job ;) ). But you just have to!
That's a really good question. It might have something do with ancient copyright laws, since royalties were usually based on where the books were printed (and, back then, printers and publishers were basically the same thing). Books printed outside countries with copyright laws might have avoid paying authors royalties. Might also have to do with national pride--the idea that the British might think that a book printed in Britain was of much better quality than one printed in, say, France. This may have become even more important as books were exported to oversease markets. A book "printed" somewhere 'respectable' might be consdered more accurate than one printed elsewhere.

Just a theory, anyway.

J-I-B

TipToe

Aug 26, 2010
Germany
Interesting interpretation :) Sounds good.
Seriously, this is the one question which accompanies me since the beginning of my studies. But, yeah. Have to accept it I guess. :twisted:

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Victor Gollancz (at the time was a division of the Cassel group) (now part of ORION PUBLISHING group) is a London publisher who were noted for publishing classic SF in Yellow covers with just the title but no artwork on them. hope this little bit of info helps. :)

User Menu

Newsletter