like Dracula, kinda

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
chinigdha said:
Good vampire books, like Dracula, kinda? I already asked this, but I am shortening it up. I want books to fill my bookshelf, so no online, downloads, no electronical stuff. I want books to hold flip pages to. I don't mean like twilight, either.
I'm not a fan of vampire books, but I don't think there is a shortage of such books - and even good ones at that. I understand that Anne Rice's series, The Vampire Chronicles, which includes "Interview With The Vampire" is worth looking it, if you like that sort of thing. :)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I've just finished reading the sequel to Interview, 'The Vampire Lestat' (the Tom Cruise role in Interview) and whilst it's well-written, it really drags in places. I think Anne Rice is probably the Tolkien of the vampire franchise (with Bram Stoke being the Lovecraft perhaps? :shifty: ) as her prose is very arty and long-winded, if beautiful in an awful kind of way as she does write Lestat with cerise-coloured specs when really they should be claret since he lurves his blood... :twisted:

Certainly she seems a better literary bet than Stephanie Meyer who appears to be a frankly silly 'sanitiser' from the films (never read the books, so this is only my not fully-informed opinion BTW :p ) and her history of the ancient vampires who 'made' Lestat and Armand (Antonio Banderas leader of the Theatre of Vampires) is pretty interesting in this 2nd volume of the Chronicles. However as I've only seen the film and not read the book of Interview I don't know if the lead book has a similar problem with being too wordy... I'm now reading The Vampire Armand (she has trouble being original with her titles too as there's another, not in the same series called Vittorio the Vampire! :naughty: ) and that certainly is meandering to the point of being tedious although she's finally got him turned about midway through the book so it may start to get a little more pacey - I live in hope... :laugh:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
You can't jump from Lestat to Armand. You have to read Queen of the Damned as it ties in very heavily with The Vampire Lestat book . Interview differs in the sense that its a different narrator who is less full of himself.
Still don't get how the hell Antonio Banderes was cast as a pale 15 year old Russian boy but hey.
The vampire Armand is not the best of the books either. Much better are The Tale of the Body Thief and Memnoch the Devil. Blood and Gold has become my favourite.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I got Lestat, Armand and Vittorio from a charity stall by the fruit and veg in Tesco's the other day :laugh: They had Queen of the Damned there too but I didn't make the connection until after I started reading Lestat... :p Is that the one that had Aaliyah in the film? Just looked :laugh: Yeah - wish I'd got that one instead, but then Armand would be even more boring! :p

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
The film Queen of the damned was based on both the lestat book and Queen of the Canned. Not a great adaption to be honest

User Menu

Newsletter