Mark Reads Discworld

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Anyone read/watched this yet?

Jason mentioned this in the newsletter but thought I'd big it up here and I've already mentioned it on the Discworld Monthly Facebook page.

Starting today cult internet celeb Mark Oshiro is to read the entire series of Discworld on camera with great commentary WITHOUT ANY PRIOR KNOWLEDGE OF THE SERIES AND COMPLETEY UNSPOILED!

I've been a fan of his projects for nearly 2 and a half years. He's a great writer and character.

He always has 2 books going at a time so there will be a Colour of Magic review every other day doing between 15-25 pages at a time. THIS WILL TAKE YEARS

Each fairly long review accompany every video also.

http://markreads.net/reviews/2014/03/mark-reads-the-color-of-magic-part-1/#idc-cover

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
I think someone should tell this man a little bit more about Discworld! :laugh: He's going to end up crazy without any previous information! And starting with Colour of Magic! Wow, he'll need some aspirin! XDXD Well, I think you'll just have to wait and see if he undestands Pratchett Great Genious Madness. :romance-heartbeating:

Mx

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Mixa said:
I think someone should tell this man a little bit more about Discworld! :laugh: He's going to end up crazy without any previous information!
No, he specifically doesn't want that. It's kind of the point of his videos: Mark reads books and reacts to them, and it's fun to watch. It's bedtime stories for adults.

I think Mark reads several different authors at a time. He's also reading Deep Secret by Diana Wynne Jones, whose books are just as deeply layered as Sir Pterry's. (Right now he's at the part of Deep Secret where the characters are attending Phantasmacon, which seems to be based somewhat on Eastercon but mixed with several others.)

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Mark's style may be a problem for some people. He reacts - possibly over-reacts? - to everything, which can be half the fun. If he weren't doing it to himself, it would be cruel to confuse somebody so much... but he is doing it to himself, so we can enjoy it.

Hunter

Lance-Constable
Feb 26, 2014
IRI
I kind of agree with Tamar. He just reacts to everything. Even the first words (Second-hand universe) and it looks like he's a tad trying to make fun of the book, not have fun with it. And he's not a good reader, too. Too many misspelling.

I know his style can be a bit over the top sometimes, this may be the only occasion where I watch every video. Usually I just read his reviews for each section/chapter/episode, such as his Supernatural reviews at the moment.

BTW, the next 3 videos are now up.

:)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I recommend these videos. The joy of the guy as he discovers Discworld and Terry's writing is amazing and reminds me of how I felt when I first discovered the books. :laugh:

I'm addicted as I knew I would be, I've been a fan of his since 2011...around when I started posting less on here......

I make sure to watch all the new Colour of Magic videos every Sunday and anticipated the reviews every other day during the week. It's also fun seeing the other newbies in the comments on his site read along and discover too, and make predictions, as well as share spoiler talk with those already versed!

The very strict no spoilers policy takes getting used to but you soon get the hang of doing spoilers using http://www.rot13.com whfg yvxr guvf!

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
The Mad Collector said:
I find his reading to be annoying and strangely fascinating at the same time. I will drop in every now and then as I suspect listening to him work his way though the books is just going to be way too much effort but the odd one should be fun
I'm not sure if there's a single word for a happy version of schadenfreude, but it's the glee of both seeing someone's response to encountering Discworld and anticipating their future responses.
Mark also has a text site where he posts a fairly short written review of the section he has just read, several days after the videos are posted. The reviews are similar to his reactions but with more depth because he's had time to think and doesn't have to move on to the next sentence.
They can be found at http://markreads.net/reviews/category/discworld/

Yeah the videos were a later addition to his format not coming in till late in Season 5 of him doing Buffy.

For Discworld these are put on YouTube every Sunday.

I'm looking forward to next week's print reviews, Mon - End of CoM, Wed - PREDICTING THE LIGHT FANTASTIC!, (when doing a book series of TV series there is a pause in the schedule where he tries to predict what will happen in the next book/season), Fri - Starting Light Fantastic!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am laughing my head off. Mark was reading The Light Fantastic and walked into a Terry Pun that literally brought tears to his eyes. (been there, done that, bought the singlet).

WARNING - Bad language in this video.

User Menu

Newsletter