SPOILERS Monstrous Regiment Discussion *Spoilers*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

KamexKoopa

Lance-Constable
Aug 2, 2012
www.thezerolevel.com
But Moving Pictures mentioned the lightscreen stuff, I just assumed it became a troll practise, like we all (presumably) wash our teeth and brush ourselves in the morning :p Sally mentioned her hat in Thud

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
There seem to be a number of black ribboners who can go out in daylight, maybe it's being off the red stuff that does it. Isn't Otto fine as long as the salamanders don't go off?

KamexKoopa

Lance-Constable
Aug 2, 2012
www.thezerolevel.com
But then Sally said she was fine with daylight as long as she wore a broad-rimmed hat, and she was a Black Ribboner, and I thiink Otto was described as wearing a collapsed opera hat? Maybe Tony is right in that it's best left unmentioned ;)

Sep 21, 2013
In regards to finding out about characters genders, I saw several character's female gender unravelling coming with the exception of Maladict.

I think this says a lot about myself and my view of a person in the army for Maladicta was one of the most astute, reliable characters and one I'd of said was your typical army male person, as with Jackrum. So this for me at the tender age of 14 was quite a shock.

Now 26, I am re-reading and trying to understand and interpret MR - a difficult task for someone, who although enjoyed learning English and reading, is not very err... You get the idea?

I wanted to ask if anyone thought the book has any sub text towards feminism or equality more than the commentary on the fallacies of war. I was thinking along the lines of suffrage movement?

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Dotsie said:
There seem to be a number of black ribboners who can go out in daylight, maybe it's being off the red stuff that does it. Isn't Otto fine as long as the salamanders don't go off?
Otto occasionally is described as standing under a sunshade.
Ankh-Morpork also has a lot of fog, mist, and general air pollution, being an early industrial city. Possibly the trolls and vampires don't need to use much protection in a city where you can only tell it's spring because the birds are coughing in rhythm and the slime on the river is a brighter shade of green.

Jan 26, 2014
Wales, UK
Upon my oath, I am not a nit-picking man! :) But I did love this book despite some negativity in the earlier posts in this thread by some people. I finished reading it 3 days ago, loved the way I felt I had to second-guess all the recriuts right up to the point where you actuall discover they are female! Where I was concerned, I was almost certain Leutenant Blouse was gonna turn out to be a woman (my opinion was swayed by his "washerwoman disguise", I thought for sure then he was going to be revealed as a woman then, also when it was revealed he couldnt actually shave himself). Jackrum was my favourite character in this book, and I was very is-he-isnt-he a woman right up to the revalation too, the vision I had of him / her in my head was just too manly to be a woman I thought, so I was very suprised, Upon my oath!! :laugh: :laugh: I love his saying / catch phrase :laugh:
Also I am an abomonation unto Nuggan, for I have red hair!! :eek: :oops:

Aug 18, 2014
UK
This is what I LOOVE about this book:

1- First landing to a tougher DW. On my head, sadly. Ouch. There's so much reality here not even trying to disguise behind a vampire or an Igor..
2- I've read in other places complains about a condescendent feminist (dunno really what they meant... but well). If you are going to accuse Terry of feminist, watch out the witches, Lady margolotta, angua, etc etc. Non sense.
3- It feel it like a pratcherian (nice word uh?) Johnny got his gun. It shocks you head about war in the same hard style.
4- And still, even when the intention is something like a war-critic, you cannot help but feel the need to be there with the platoon. Silly, i know.
5- I forgot a lot more, just because I think i'm going to start it over AGAIN. Excuse me... :laugh:

No really, is an amazing book.

Aug 28, 2014
I just finished this book - again :laugh: I think this is the Discworld book I have read the most, and while I don't like picking favourites easily, all the evidence points at "Monstrous Regiment". Perhaps this is also because with other Discworld-"series", there are multiple books to chose from per protagonist, while there is only one book for Polly. On the other hand I like the down-to-earth realism of this book, and I adore all the characters. I admit I shed a tear every time we hear the last of Tonker and Lofty, and my heart breaks every time I read Alice's "I used to be beaten".

I share the common criticism of the book that the recruits are hard to keep track off, what with each having a real name, a fake name and a nick name, however after having read the book so many times I remember them quite nicely. So many characters to like, and an open yet meaningful ending. The small part of me who would really want a sequel knows that such a book would taking away what made this ending so great to begin with, though I have to admit, I really would like to read more about these characters.

kogera13

Sep 24, 2014
I really like Monstrous Regiment - for me it's one of Pratchett's deepest books, which is ironic because it's main theme for me is surfaces. The 'surface' nature of ever shifting identities and the 'surface' nature of gender. This is the book where it is easiest to see that gender is nothing but a performance.

User Menu

Newsletter