neil gaimens doctor who episode

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Willem said:
I'm not upset! :)
Glad to hear it. :)

Willem said:
Can't think why I didn't include Pratchett as an example by the way. In my opinion, his best books are between Reaper Man and Jingo, including both. Everything before was good practice and finetuning, most of what follows feels like a re-tread to me (with the exception of Going Postal). Many of you disagree, and you're all fools for it ;)
I disagree with you thus far. There was a lot of re-treading between Reaper Man and Jingo, in fact, between The Colour of Magic and Jingo. But there have been quite a few stale ones. Stale by Discworld standards, anyway. Monstrous Regiment springs to mind. It was OK, but not what I usually like.

Willem said:
I've only watched Doctor Who from the relaunch with Christopher Eccleston on and I don't think I've seen any episode more than once so I'm not as tuned into the mythology and history of the show as others. Still, if anything I'd say the show has matured with the latest reincarnation (although that's probably mostly due to Steven Moffat taking over).
I was a fan since '91, but got bored with it at about the turn of the millennium. I only became interested again because of the relaunch.

Willem said:
Back to the show itself: anyone know if the girl was called Idris for a reason? Somehow, Astrid would have been appropriate considering what happens.
Some people considered Astrid from Voyage of the Damned to be potentially a or the TARDIS. But then again, they had a character in a classic story (The Enemy of the World) called Astrid Ferrier, so it doesn't mean much. I did hear, though, that the character Dastari from The Two Doctors (a geneticist who was also helping time travel experiments) was named from an anagram of 'a TARDIS'. :rolleyes: But then again, that story also had a race of aliens called Androgums. Figure out what THAT is an anagram of. :)

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Quatermass said:
And speaking about writing Doctor Who, you wanna know what really pisses me off?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_110427_01/Your_Chance_to_Write_for_Doctor_Who

They're wasting this opportunity on 9-11 year olds! :x
This is nothing new for Dr Who. Over the years they have often run competitions for children; one such example being Peter Kay's 'Abzorbaloff' which was designed by a nine year old for a competition run by Blue Peter (a children's tv show). I think anything that encourages young kids to write can only be a good thing. :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Penfold said:
Quatermass said:
And speaking about writing Doctor Who, you wanna know what really pisses me off?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_110427_01/Your_Chance_to_Write_for_Doctor_Who

This is nothing new for Dr Who. Over the years they have often run competitions for children; one such example being Peter Kay's 'Abzorbaloff' which was designed by a nine year old for a competition run by Blue Peter (a children's tv show). I think anything that encourages young kids to write can only be a good thing. :laugh:
And I can remember a Blue Peter competition to design an alien for Dr Who when I was a kid.

Part of the last episode was designed by a kid. I won't say more as you haven't seen it yet Q. ;)

Tonyblack said:
Penfold said:
Quatermass said:

And I can remember a Blue Peter competition to design an alien for Dr Who when I was a kid.

Part of the last episode was designed by a kid. I won't say more as you haven't seen it yet Q. ;)
I know which bit you mean Tony, I randomly cauught Blue Peter and saw the making of that bit with the winner, it was sweet. :laugh:

I like it, it lets kids feel special.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Tonyblack said:
Penfold said:
Quatermass said:

Oh, I know what was involved. Tony, whenever an episode is transmitted in the UK, I look for the spoilers. ;) The pleasure is not just in the knowing, but in the watching of it. :)

It was a cobbled-together TARDIS console, BTW.

And yes, I do remember hearing about that original Blue Peter competition. In fact, there's a documentary on one of my DVDs (Horns of Nimon, I think) called Who Peter, where they actually interview the designer of the winner of that original contest from the sixties.

You know, if I was given a chance to design a Doctor Who monster (I'd have no chance of winning due to my complete lack of artistic talent), I'd try and look at something abstract. Something primal. Moffat knows how to do that. You have a creepy child in a gasmask, clockwork homicidal robots, statues that only move when you're not looking at them, homicidal shadows, and aliens that erase themselves from your memory when you look away.

And Russell T Davies managed to do it best (amongst his creations) with that Midnight creature. Oh, and in his one and only Doctor Who novel, he wrote about a multidimensional Gallifreyan weapon that propagated itself through a batch of cocaine.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Just watched The Doctor's Wife. Absolutely brilliant episode. Easily the best single-part story of the Eleventh Doctor so far. And it had some very Neil Gaiman touches. The right mixture of horror and wonder. And it has the best psychodrama in the TARDIS since The Edge of Destruction. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I don't know if you ever saw the TV adaptation of Neverwhere, Q. I thought there were some touches of that in this episode. Especially with the characters at the start - with a little added Igor. :laugh:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Tonyblack said:
I don't know if you ever saw the TV adaptation of Neverwhere, Q. I thought there were some touches of that in this episode. Especially with the characters at the start - with a little added Igor. :laugh:
Never actually watched Neverwhere (barring a few clips on YouTube), but I have read the book. And yes, I see where you're going on this. Of course, you see other weird stuff in the Sandman comics. In fact, for anyone who has any familiarity with it, does Idris seem like a mixture between Delirium and Death?

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
The Mad Collector said:
It really was a fantastic episode and I hope he does write some more as he has suggested he might. Watching the confidential programme afterwards you could see he was having a wonderful time.
Well, he is a fan.

But I can understand if he doesn't want to write another one straight away. If he wants to write a seriously good one, he should take his time.

I know that they probably chose The Doctor's Wife as a title as a reference to the fake story JNT put on his whiteboard back in the eighties (and for being very marketable to fans), but I wish they went with one of the other working titles. The House of Nothing was a brilliant title, pure Gaiman. Or Bigger on the Inside.

User Menu

Newsletter