New Discworld stamps from Royal Mail

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
I'd say Rincewind looks wary, but yes, he doesn't look hapless enough. They get major points for noticing that he's young. In TCoM he's a college drop-out.

Last edited:

GaspodeTWD

Aug 2, 2023
England
The Royal Mail Discworld stamps are being released on 10th August 2023. Various presentation packs, collector sheets, first day covers, etc. All are available to pre-order now.

Royal Mail press release, 3rd August 2023:
Royal Mail today revealed images of a set of eight Special Stamps being issued to celebrate Terry Pratchett’s globally popular, fantasy Discworld series, and the 40th anniverary of the first book in the series, The Colour of Magic.

The stamps include characters Rincewind, The Librarian, Granny Weatherwax, Sam Vimes, and Great A’Tuin, as well as specially commissioned artworks of Death and Mort, Tiffany Aching and Moist von Lipwig by Terry Pratchett’s illustrator of choice, Paul Kidby.

Sir Terry Pratchett, OBE (1948–2015) is regarded as one of the UK’s greatest fantasy writers. His defining work is the Discworld series, which spans 41 novels that have been translated into over 40 languages, with more than a hundred million copies sold worldwide.

Discworld is a flat, circular planet revolving on the shoulders of four giant elephants who stand atop a vast star turtle called the Great A’Tuin. This turtle is 10,000 miles long and of the species Chelys galactica. Its shell is scarred with meteor craters, and its eyes are as big as seas.

David Gold, Director of External Affairs and Policy said: “These striking stamps will be loved by generations both young and old. Terry Pratchett’s Discworld novels remain as popular as ever and it is fitting that in the 40th anniversary year of The Colour of Magic, we celebrate with a set of stamps that honour the work of an iconic and globally admired writer.”

Royal Mail worked closely with Terry Pratchett’s estate, as well as Paul Kidby, who has been illustrating Discworld for 30 years.

Paul began working with Terry Pratchett in 1993 and has designed the Discworld book jackets since 2002. He has illustrated many Discworld publications including ‘The Art of Discworld’, best-selling ‘The Last Hero’ and the 2017 publication ‘Terry Pratchett’s Discworld Imaginarium’. In 2019 he illustrated ‘Good Omens’ written by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

Ilustrator, Paul Kidby said: “It has been a huge honour to illustrate this set of stamps to commemorate 40 years of Discworld. I am delighted to finally be able to tell people about it as it has been a big secret to keep! It’s a wonderful celebration of Terry’s ongoing legacy and continued popularity.”

The stamps are available to pre-order from today (3 August) at www.royalmail.com/discworld, by telephone on 03457 641 641 and at 7,000 Post Office branches across the UK. A Presentation Pack including all eight stamps in the set is priced at £13.50. The stamps go on general sale on 10 August.
There are eight stamps available. Here's images of the first five:
Terry Pratchett's Discworld Stamp - Rincewind 400�.jpg Terry Pratchett's Discworld Stamp - Moist Von Lipwig 400�.jpg Terry Pratchett's Discworld Stamp - Granny Weatherwax 400�.jpg Terry Pratchett's Discworld Stamp - The Librarian 400�.jpg Terry Pratchett's Discworld Stamp - Death and Mort 400�.jpg

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm, maybe it's me -- but haven't we seen all these images before (quite a few times, I might add)?

1. Rincewind fleeing the Things from the Dungeon Dimensions (sometime between Sourcery and Eric)
2. Official A-M Post Office portrait of Moist (from the "A-M Post Office Diary")
3. Official portrait of The Witches ("The Art of Discworld")
4. The Librarian on the cover of "The Ultimate Discworld Companion"
5. Death and Mort ... not sure. I think this is the only one I haven't seen before
6. Vimes while facing down the mob at the gate to Lady Sybil's in "Guards! Guards!"
7. A typical portrait of Tiffany. Not sure which book this is from; it could easily be TWFM
8. Classic drawing of Great A'Tuin. I'm pretty sure it's in "The Art of Discworld", among others.

I'm not complaining, of course! :) I'm just sure I recognise nearly all of them.

GaspodeTWD

Aug 2, 2023
England
Moist, Death/Mort and the Tiffany images were specially commissioned by Royal Mail for this set. The others are existing Paul Kidby illustrations.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm - I was sure I saw the Tiffany image before.

The Moist one is interesting; I just noticed that the postman to Moist's right has a rat (?) on a string around his neck. Is this a dwarf postman? ;)

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter