PICKLED MAGIC an entirely new novel

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Pickled1

Lance-Constable
Feb 4, 2022
If you liked Sir Terry Pratchett’s Discworld stories then you are going to absolutely fall in love with this book. It is a little naughtier, a shade crazier and with a touch of steel woven into the comedic comfort blanket.
It’s a comic fantasy story that will make the reader laugh out loud and, by the end, it will also give people hope. So what is it all about?

A wizard’s apprentice has a driving need for vengeance, but a visceral dread of the one ‘potion’ that releases his Wild Magic – the unhinged, irresistible force which, when unleashed, could finally make the bullies pay for all their years of unsought-after . . . attentions.
Pickled Magic is a wacky, Pratchett-esque journey of wobbly discovery on the road to the ultimate power and, conceivably, an – alcohol-free – splash of well-deserved glory at the end?

Walter Farmfound – the only (living) apprentice to the city of Vikksaporubb’s Senior Wizard, Marlyn – desperately craves for magic, which he feels is necessary for him to exact revenge on his childhood tormentors – both at home and at school.
Unfortunately, the only time Walter is able to access his all-powerful and untameable Wild Magic is when he is completely inebriated – pickled even – and therefore without inhibitions; and quite possibly a single functioning brain cell. What could possibly go wrong?

Wizards, witches, centaurs, a Wild Magic that knows no bounds, decadent Royalty, copious volumes of alcohol, vicious bullies, trolls, Hellves, an inter-species war . . . what more does a comic fantasy novel require?
You want more???
Well, but only if you’re sure: how about an unbounded quantity of refreshing, sometimes naughty originality, a centuries-dead sorcerer, a vengeful dragon, an enigmatic teacher, one crazy duck and chrysanthemums. But no wands, definitely no wands!
Pickled Magic, a trilogy in one part.

It will shortly be for sale on Amazon at the insane introductory price of £1.99 in the UK, $2.99 in the USA, AU$2.99 in Australia, plus anywhere else Amazon has an online presence. Initially it will be released for Kindle, but in the New Year it will also be available in paperback.

I am happy to answer any questions you may have about this new book or even myself . . . well, within reason of course, since it was initially completed in 1987 and I may have forgotten a few pertinent details, or even my own current address, given my age.........

Last edited:

Pickled1

Lance-Constable
Feb 4, 2022
Hi, everyone. Hope you all had a very happy Hogswatch. Here is the update I promised (threatened?) you with. My book is now online in the UK and US and most other places Amazon has a presence. Here are links to both if it helps find it and you’re interested?
If you do buy a copy (I’ve deliberately priced it unbelievably low - £1.99 in the UK - so it is accessible for all, which is why I wrote it in the first place) please read it uncritically i.e. “this bloke’s trying to emulate STP!” If you do that you may not enjoy it as you should. There is something in Pickled Magic for everyone I believe. It also finally came in at a whopping 1500+ pages - on a Kindle - but I didn’t want to do what other authors have done and split it into three separate books to make more money. If it’s ok I’ll re-post my original blurb with the additional reasons for the vast tome it finally ended up being. It is Walter’s story and he needed it telling properly and in full. Please enjoy it in the spirit it was originally written, way back in 1987.
Regards, Rich
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CQVP8BMQ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CQVP8BMQ

Pickled1

Lance-Constable
Feb 4, 2022
Walter Farmfound, wizard’s apprentice, has a driving need for vengeance, but a visceral dread of the one ‘potion’ that releases his Wild Magic – the completely unhinged, irresistible force which, when unleashed, could finally make the bullies pay for all their years of unsought-after . . . attentions.

Pickled Magic is a wacky, Pratchett-esque journey of occasionally wobbly discovery on the road to the ultimate power and, conceivably, an – alcohol-free – splash of well-deserved glory at the end?

Walter – the only (living) apprentice to the City of Vikksaporubb’s Senior Wizard, Marlyn – desperately craves for magic, which he feels is necessary for him to exact revenge on his childhood tormentors – both at home and at school.

Unfortunately, the only time Walter is able to access his all-powerful and untameable Wild Magic is when he is completely inebriated – pickled even – and therefore without any of those pesky, restraining inhibitions; and quite possibly a single functioning brain cell. What could possibly go wrong?

Wizards, witches, centaurs, a Wild Magic that knows no bounds, decadent Royalty, copious volumes of alcohol, vicious bullies, trolls, Hellves, an inter-species war . . . what more does a comic fantasy novel require?

You want more???

Well, but only if you’re sure: how about an unbounded quantity of refreshing, sometimes naughty originality, a centuries-dead sorcerer, a vengeful dragon, an enigmatic teacher, a crazy quest, an even crazier duck and chrysanthemums. But no wands, definitely no wands!

Pickled Magic is dedicated to all the people that have been – or, sadly, are still being – bullied or abused, and to anyone suffering with depression or anxiety in any form, possibly as a result of the forementioned malfeasances. This book has been written for you, because there is hope and there still is love in this world.

Pickled1

Lance-Constable
Feb 4, 2022
Hi, you can buy it now. It should already be live on Amazon The paperback version is still under review and hopefully should be ready sometime in the New Year . Thank you for your interest. Let me know your impressions, although it may take some time, it’s a big ‘un . Best wishes, Rich

Pickled1

Lance-Constable
Feb 4, 2022
Amazon are being a bit silly with searches for it and the suggested reading ages. Every time someone corrects their account/book it ‘freezes’ for a time, sometimes days . Rich

Pickled1

Lance-Constable
Feb 4, 2022
Hi, all. I have slightly adjusted the introduction/strap line to Pickle Magic on Amazon's website. I was wondering if the new description - as opposed to the older one above - reads a little better, is more informative and possibly 'grabs' someone with a view to a purchase? Still finding my feet out there in the authoring world, so I do appreciate any feedback given. Here are direct links to the UK and USA sites, if that helps? There are two very warming reviews there now if people are unsure of whether this 'trilogy in one book' is for you?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CQVP8BMQ
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CQVP8BMQ
Cheers, Rich

User Menu

Newsletter